Linux 4.9 Is Showing Some Performance Improvements On A Core i7 6800K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.9 Is Showing Some Performance Improvements On A Core i7 6800K

Phoronix: Linux 4.9 Is Showing Some Performance Improvements On A Core i7 6800K

Now that Linux 4.9-rc1 is out, it's onward to testing this new Linux kernel on the dozens of test systems at Phoronix. With some early testing on a Core i7 6800K Broadwell-E box, there are some promising improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

With all these various performance deltas between the kernels over the years, it would be interesting if the 4.9 is really faster than say the 3.9 or 3.0 kernel. More compatible certainly, but performance wise the newer ones always seem to be close if not slower in some areas, faster in others. It would be interesting to see the overall progress made the past few years.

Comment

Vey interesting, thanks!

Michael, would you mind making your diagrams more smartphone friendly? I have a 1080p screen and i cant see the diagram completely in my screen width. I have to scroll sideways to see the actual differences between 4.8 and 4.9 for each chart. I would be glad if id just could scroll downways through the article.

Cheers,
      Tom

Comment

Originally posted by xevrem View Post
        With all these various performance deltas between the kernels over the years, it would be interesting if the 4.9 is really faster than say the 3.9 or 3.0 kernel. More compatible certainly, but performance wise the newer ones always seem to be close if not slower in some areas, faster in others. It would be interesting to see the overall progress made the past few years.
        ^ This. I would definitely sponsor such an article, just name your price Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post

^ This. I would definitely sponsor such an article, just name your price Michael.
          yeah would be very interesting. Maybe for LTS Kernels only to see the bigger picture.

Comment

Originally posted by TomPollok View Post
            Vey interesting, thanks!

Michael, would you mind making your diagrams more smartphone friendly? I have a 1080p screen and i cant see the diagram completely in my screen width. I have to scroll sideways to see the actual differences between 4.8 and 4.9 for each chart. I would be glad if id just could scroll downways through the article.

Cheers,
            Tom
            All the graphing code is open-source. Not sure what the specific issue you are running into but patches welcome if anyone has any ideas how to improve it.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Whatever price basically, would be fun to benchmark anyhow.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Not sure what the specific issue you are running into but patches welcome if anyone has any ideas how to improve it.
                Can't pinpoint exactly the CSS issue, but it seems that the graph appears in some sort of absolute position/size, one have to use the smartphone in landscape orientation to the graph fit on the screen.

Comment

Using a 4790K Haswell sound good for going back 2~3 years or how far you'd like? Also will include power consumption results.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Using a 4790K Haswell sound good for going back 2~3 years or how far you'd like? Also will include power consumption results.
                    If the time permits you I guess it could be interesting to do the tests on both Skylake and some older gen CPU such as Haswell of Ivy. Anyway, I sent my tip, fingers crossed that others will chip it too

Comment

Working...
                    X