No announcement yet.

Valve's Steam Controller With SteamOS/Linux Support Is Now Listed For Just $35

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve's Steam Controller With SteamOS/Linux Support Is Now Listed For Just $35

Phoronix: Valve's Steam Controller With SteamOS/Linux Support Is Now Listed For Just $35

If you have been put off from ordering a Steam Controller for your SteamOS/Linux gaming system due to the $50 USD price-tag, it's been marked down to $35...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Exclusively for Prime Members
    This item at $34.99 is reserved for Prime members.
    Some important details missing from the article...

Comment

Last I checked, still not available to Australia. But I've got plenty of spare controllers along with an arcade stick and flight stick, and for most games I prefer keyboard+mouse anyway. No big loss.

Comment

These controllers are pretty good.
        Through some magical trickery, I was even able to play Tomb Raider 2 (Windows) running on Wine using the Steam controller where I have it mapped to keyboard keys in steam.
        Works surprisingly well. I like it more than my Logitech Rumblepad and that says a lot.

It does require some configuration of the distro (udev as I recall) to get it initially set up, at least on stable Debian/Ubuntu. Would be nice if it was more plug&play, but it seems some distros are paranoid about plugged in devices and blocking users from being able to use them, without being in the non-default group of "input" and other such things.
        Last edited by Sidicas; 29 September 2016, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Opensuse comes with the udev rules plug and play

Comment

Steam controllers seem pretty legit. They have the most options available out of all controllers out there, right? Should really get to buying one for myself.

Comment

Originally posted by FishPls View Post
              Steam controllers seem pretty legit. They have the most options available out of all controllers out there, right? Should really get to buying one for myself.
              Exactly. If you need an instant plug n play then it is not for you, a classical pad would fit better. But if you can spend 10mn to really configure it for each game it becomes an awesome controller, basically because everything is possible considering the number of buttons/touchpads and the ability to bind everthing everywhere.

It is also very reactive so you can even play FPS... as long as you do not need 10 headshots in a row ofc

Comment

Does this work out-of-the-box?

Or do you need special software to map the controller to keyboard or stuff like that?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Does this work out-of-the-box?

Or do you need special software to map the controller to keyboard or stuff like that?
                  Basically you have 2 modes, both available directly in Steam :

- the pad mode, where the controller is considered like a PS/XB/Logitech "classical" pad. In this mode it is automatically configured with default keys (if the game itself is compatible with pads, and most new games are). But on Ubuntu I had to tweak some system files, on Opensuse it was out-of-the-box.

- the keyboard/mouse, where you bind every key/move to the controller. It takes time but you can make great things. This mode also allows a GREAT thing : you can try/use config posted by other users. In most case you will find the most popular perfect

Comment

Ahahah! Only on amazon.com.
                    On my regional amazon.fr, it's 95€ (106$)
                    Still more expensive than the steam store.

Comment

Working...
                    X