No announcement yet.

Steam Dev Days Are In 2 Weeks; SteamOS/Linux Will Be Talked About

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm wondering when they'll do a refresh of the Steam runtime. The current one is based on Ubuntu 12.04 and they can't rely on that forever. I suppose they don't want to refresh too often as they'll have to continue shipping and supporting the older versions so that the older games don't break. Alternatively they could make all the developers rebuild their binaries but that's just wishful thinking.

Comment

I use Steam on Debian Testing/Unstable and it works fine. Granted I don't use the Mesa drivers, which have always been hit and miss for me anyhow. Though I don't understand the great desire for having a 64bit only client. probably 99% of all the games out there don't have 64 bit builds even today. So you'd still need the 32bit libraries installed.

Comment

Without Steam Machines is there really any point in having SteamOS?

Comment

I'm happy to see the Steam Dev Days return, I really enjoyed the sessions in 2014.

Regarding the steam machines, I really hope they are going to start push these machines. Such machines are the future of gaming consoles, even though Valve are several years too early. When MS and Sony releases their next generation consoles (~4-5 years) they will likely go with a similar solution becoming software vendors selling for certified machines. There is really no profit in making dedicated locked-in gaming consoles any more, and the price of the dedicated console creates a high threshold for new customers. Many customers are interested in one or two games from each console, which makes the consoles a though sell. If Valve stick around long enough they'll have decent chance up against MS and Sony in the HTPC market.

Gaming consoles did serve a purpose in the 80s and early 90s, when desktops were too expensive, and the consoles offered cheap efficient gaming hardware.

Comment

No big issue for me on Arch 64bit. Just a couple of tweaks needed to run Brigador... All other games always run perfectly OOTB.

Anyway, i think Volvo completely screwed up the steam machine launch. Every big console out there had at least one AAA EXCLUSIVE title to showcase the potential and whatnot.. Console gamers are usually dumb and don't care about technicalities. You need this kind of marketing levers to acquire these customers.

Well, as long as they keep linux support at current standards, I'm more than happy ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
              Will Steam finally run on distributions aside SteamOS and maybe some Ubuntu release? Especially on 64bit systems. You know, just running. I don't need fancy UI that uses Vulkan to display its buttons. Just start and be there without crashing with library errors.
              The current situation kinda sucks. For more than 1/2 year I couldn't get it to run. (iirc. started with a mesa update, suddenly library errors, but I needed the new mesa for better OpenGL support and from then on I never got it to run again, no matter which of the bundled libraries I deleted. The error messages changed, but it never fully started.)
              I'm on openSUSE Tumbleweed and this is what I'm doing:

Code:
              #!/bin/sh

mySTEAM_ROOT="/mnt/multimedia/Games/Steam"
              mySTEAM_PATH="$mySTEAM_ROOT/ubuntu12_32"
              mySTEAM_RUNTIME="$mySTEAM_PATH/steam-runtime"                                                                                                                   

origLD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
              origPATH=$PATH

cd $mySTEAM_PATH

export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=pulseaudio
              export STEAM_RUNTIME=0
              export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH;/lib;/lib64;$mySTEAM_PATH/override/32;$mySTEAM_PATH/override/64;$mySTEAM_PATH;$PWD;$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu:$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/i386/lib:$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu:$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/i386/usr/lib:$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/amd64/lib:$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/amd64/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu:$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/amd64/usr/lib"
              export PATH="$PATH;$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/amd64/usr/bin;$mySTEAM_RUNTIME/amd64/usr/sbin"

$mySTEAM_ROOT/steam.sh $*

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$origLD_LIBRARY_PATH
              export PATH=$origPATH
              and:

Code:
              $ l /mnt/multimedia/Games/Steam/ubuntu12_32/override/32
              insgesamt 8
              drwxr-xr-x 2 droste users 4096 27. Mai 12:11 ./
              drwxr-xr-x 4 droste users 4096 27. Mai 12:11 ../
              lrwxrwxrwx 1 droste users   26 13. Dez 2015  libgpg-error.so.0 -> /usr/lib/libgpg-error.so.0*
              lrwxrwxrwx 1 droste users   25 23. Feb 2014  libSDL2-2.0.so.0 -> /usr/lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0*
              lrwxrwxrwx 1 droste users   23  3. Jul 2015  libstdc++.so.6 -> /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6*
              lrwxrwxrwx 1 droste users   21 30. Mai 2015  libudev.so.0 -> /usr/lib/libudev.so.1*
              Code:
              $ l /mnt/multimedia/Games/Steam/ubuntu12_32/override/64
              insgesamt 8
              drwxr-xr-x 2 droste users 4096 27. Mai 12:12 ./
              drwxr-xr-x 4 droste users 4096 27. Mai 12:11 ../
              lrwxrwxrwx 1 droste users   28 27. Mai 12:11 libgpg-error.so.0 -> /usr/lib64/libgpg-error.so.0*
              lrwxrwxrwx 1 droste users   27 27. Mai 12:12 libSDL2-2.0.so.0 -> /usr/lib64/libSDL2-2.0.so.0*
              lrwxrwxrwx 1 droste users   25 27. Mai 12:12 libstdc++.so.6 -> /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6*
              lrwxrwxrwx 1 droste users   23 27. Mai 12:12 lubudev.so.0 -> /usr/lib64/libudev.so.1*
              works fine since... the beginning of steam for linux, never had to change it. I'm using mesa git.
              You obviously have to change "/mnt/multimedia/Games/Steam" to your real path if you want to use it.
              And I'm not sure if SDL_AUDIODRIVER is still needed. Maybe you don't need it.

If you want I can explain in detail what's happening here, but it's not too hard. I'm disabling the steam runtime, but add the libraries to LD_LIBRARY_PATH *after* the system libraries. So for installed libraries it's using the system ones and for not installed ones it's using the steam ones. Unfortunately some libraries have a different name or other issues that's why I have a symbolic link in an additional folder "override" for these in 64bits and 32bits.

Comment

/edit:
                With this way you don't need to remove anything from the steam folder and steam updates work fine without you having anything to do.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  Without Steam Machines is there really any point in having SteamOS?
                  How about giving game devs a singular Linux target and generally making Linux a credible gaming platform?

Besides, SteamOS is PC gaming. You don't need a fancy expensive branded un-upgradable box to run SteamOS and even a dated PC can run a large library of games.

To be honest though I feel that SteamOS Brewmaster is still Beta quality in many areas. The controller and its configuration is on a very good level but some of the games don't work without tweaking, the menus are slow to load for no reason lacking any caching for images and the integrated browser isn't too good. Their catalog is growing steadily with indie titles but they should get more big name titles at launch. Last time I checked the controller didn't work in desktop mode. There's a lot to gain in working with the community and developers to get older titles wine-wrapped.

Anyway Valve is still going in the right direction and gaining momentum. Steam certainly wasn't a very finished product when it was first published and SteamOS isn't either. Maybe in a few years they'll release SteamOS Chemist with all the pieces in place really challenging the console market and we'll have the year of the Linux gaming console.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                    uid313
                    PS: The Steam controller should be supported in the kernel. I could have a look at a 4.7.x kernel menuconfig but since they intended SteamOS as their platform for Steam consoles with the Steam controller it should definitely be supported.
                    I woulnd't set hopes too high for Wayland (yet). Their client is quite bitchy about everything so don't expect it to run outside SteamOS or very close (deb-based) distributions.

Okay, I checked 4.7.2. and didn't find anything with a quick search (input devices -> gamepads and HID devices), but there is generic gamepad support and I don't know if there is support for certain chips in there (or if it uses rebranded things). But then I guess the whole thing is connected via USB, so I don't know if you can address single chips in there or the device as a whole. Maybe the support is not yet upstream?
                    I have to +1000 this, Ubuntu's install on a 64 bits system is a hell! I hate having to remove / ln libraries while there is an installer that should mnage this automatically.
                    Some distros like Opensuse have this working installer in 1 click since years.

How many Linux beginners wanting to test system just give up and switch back to Windows saying "Linux is still too complicated for me"... it's a shame

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
                      I'm on openSUSE Tumbleweed and this is what I'm doing:
                      I'm on openSUSE Leap and this is what I'm doing:

-clicking on Steam icon to start it.

Comment

Working...
                      X