Libreboot Drama Continues, GNU Might Keep The Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanL View Post
    As it is, their behavior sets a bad precedent and seems cult-like. "You can leave anytime you want... Just give us your money, your property, your first born, etc."
    Omg, they just don't have procedures to let projects go from GNU, it's not like they sent a swat team to take control of Libreboot's git and servers, nor they stole any money (donations cannot be refunded).

Comment

Eidolon asks that people please not refer to themselves in the third person[1][2]. It doesn't lend an air of professionalism or distinction, it just looks silly.
      ---
      I know some people will disagree, but I think the GNU Project should not contest Leah taking Libreboot in the direction she wants to take it. She is the "main developer, original author and founder of the libreboot project" and "manages the libreboot website and git repository". If contributors want to stick with the GNU Project, they can fork Libreboot. This is already contentious, there is no reason to up the drama factor.

Likewise, Leah needs to stop seeking a refund of her donations to the FSF.

Enough campaigning.

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Assuming no actual proof gets brought out to back up the original claims made, this is probably the last time worth reporting on Libreboot, with it just going further down the rabbit hole.
      Exactly. Semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit.

Comment

Originally posted by eidolon View Post
        If contributors want to stick with the GNU Project, they can fork Libreboot.
        I should add, Leah wrote, "I further request that the GNU project does not fork libreboot, nor accept any forks of libreboot into GNU, as this would be an even bigger insult on top of the existing one where the FSF lied publicly in response to libreboot.org/gnu", but she has no say over the work other people choose to do, and you can't blame people if they want to take project governance in another direction.

No matter the outcome, it's pretty clear to me that Leah is not going to be satisfied. I believe a fork would be less of a distraction than wrestling over maintainership of Libreboot.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
          I don't get why more manufacturers aren't interested in the project.
          Well, why would they be? What do manufacturers gain from using Openboot in their hardware, instead of one of the existing BIOS/EFI suppliers?

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
            Well, why would they be? What do manufacturers gain from using Openboot in their hardware, instead of one of the existing BIOS/EFI suppliers?
            what's this openboot you are talking about lol?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              what's this openboot you are talking about lol?
              Brain fade. Coreboot, I mean (Openboot is something different from Sun... no idea if it's still in use)

Comment

Omg, they just don't have procedures to let projects go from GNU, it's not like they sent a swat team to take control of Libreboot's git and servers, nor they stole any money (donations cannot be refunded).
                I meant in the sense of cult mentality, not literally,

Comment

FYI: Assigning copyright to FSF is an optional decision to be done by the project itself. It is not mandatory.

Personal notes:

1) Assigning/transferring copyright is invalid in many countries of the world (e.g. in my country), hence the piece of paper FSF asks you to sign as a contributor may be worthless.

2) FSF promises you $1 for the transfer of copyright, but fails to pay. This also makes the agreement void in many countries.

Comment

This forum is unmoderated (if we exclude the automated annoyance done by vBullettin), so yeah, people will talk of whatever with impunity.
                    You're right. My plead was probably asking what's beyond the willingness to do for some individuals.

At the time I wrote it, I had some hopes up. For now, I'll just follow my own advice and go back to configuring and playing with a freshly installed Linux system.

Perhaps Ronnie James Dio and Black Sabbath were indeed right, the mob does rule.

Comment

One of my teachers at school once said something very true:

"Those who take a very strong vocal dislike to homosexuality tend to be people who see the trait in themselves. Normally no-one spends all that much time thinking about other people's tastes and interests."

Comment

Working...
                      X