Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD's DAL Was Just Presented At XDC2016, Still Not Clear When It Will Be Mainlined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's DAL Was Just Presented At XDC2016, Still Not Clear When It Will Be Mainlined

Phoronix: AMD's DAL Was Just Presented At XDC2016, Still Not Clear When It Will Be Mainlined

Harry Wentland of AMD just presented at the XDC2016 conference about DAL, the big Display Abstraction Layer code-base, which many AMD Linux users have been waiting to see merged in order to have Polaris audio support and this is one of the stepping stones for seeing FreeSync/Adaptive-Sync and other modern display capabilities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It will be mainlined once devs are happy with code.

For pro users here is what i just found in alterantive news driver for win agency:

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/amd-radeon-software-crimson-16-9-2-driver-download.html

Only that i don't have FreeSync monitor to test that not yet available driver for Linux... but at least we have what to read (and expect) for now

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      DAL is already integrated to the 4.7 kernel:

This kernel gets same updates than kernel 4.9 driver. I do not have hardware to test DAL but I have enabled it in the kernel without problems.
      No, it's not part of 4.7 mainline.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Being mainlined means - once it is in Linus Torvalds main tree.

Comment

Wow the audio quality is bad, it is quite hard for me to follow.

Comment

Just to avoid any misunderstandings... the amd-staging-4.7 tree is an internal development tree which contains latest amdgpu code on top of a 4.7 release kernel... so the driver code in amd-staging-4.7 is definitely not the same as what you would find in the 4.7 kernel.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              so the driver code in amd-staging-4.7 is definitely not the same as what you would find in the 4.7 kernel.
              nor in any mainline kernel anytime soon

Comment

Year and half on average as Harry said in video... but i guess no one watched that

Comment

Year or half... OK i am not an editor

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    Just to avoid any misunderstandings... the amd-staging-4.7 tree is an internal development tree which contains latest amdgpu code on top of a 4.7 release kernel... so the driver code in amd-staging-4.7 is definitely not the same as what you would find in the 4.7 kernel.
                    Debian Testing is also for testing... but debianxfce uses it as something else, so LEGO seems prevail

And AMD's internal development tree suddenly became new mainline

Comment

Working...
                    X