Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 11.0 RC3 Released, OS Still Trying To Get Out This Month

Phoronix: FreeBSD 11.0 RC3 Released, OS Still Trying To Get Out This Month

The third release candidate to FreeBSD 11.0 is now available with this release cycle running now a few weeks behind schedule...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Totally new to BSD, installed 11.0 RC2 then upgraded to RC3 yesterday. I must say, the documentation is amazing good - handbook particularly. Also, ports tree is cool - I built Gnome 3 from scratch - took hours and could have just run 'pkg install' but I really like the whole base system/third party split and how everything can be compiled if you want. Impressed so far.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilPotter View Post
      Totally new to BSD, installed 11.0 RC2 then upgraded to RC3 yesterday. I must say, the documentation is amazing good - handbook particularly. Also, ports tree is cool - I built Gnome 3 from scratch - took hours and could have just run 'pkg install' but I really like the whole base system/third party split and how everything can be compiled if you want. Impressed so far.
      You did what you can do in most Linux distributions and even solaris. It's really impressive. It will be more impressive if you make big distance on a bike rather than wasting hours on doing task that could be done in minutes. There's really nothing more interesting in upcoming freebsd release?

Comment

What is your problem exactly? I'm not forcing you to use it, I'm just saying I've used it and I kinda like it.

Comment

What is your problem exactly? I'm not forcing you to use it, I'm just saying I've used it and I kinda like it.
          He is noting that on most distros (Debian and derivatives, OpenSUSE, Arch, obviously Gentoo...) there are source packages you can use to auto-download sources and auto-build stuff too.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

You did what you can do in most Linux distributions and even solaris. It's really impressive. It will be more impressive if you make big distance on a bike rather than wasting hours on doing task that could be done in minutes. There's really nothing more interesting in upcoming freebsd release?
            What happens with "Pawlerson" is that he is a loser that hates the BSDs, and everyone that tries them, because he can't have the MacOS GUI in linux. (Just in case you are wondering what is wrong with him and the multiple usernames he attempts to impersonate).

Comment

Welcome to Phoronix. You have just experienced two of the Phoronix village idiots. There may also be a third one, but it's tough to tell which of them are sock puppets or legitimate users.

Comment

Originally posted by nslay View Post
                Welcome to Phoronix. You have just experienced two of the Phoronix village idiots. There may also be a third one, but it's tough to tell which of them are sock puppets or legitimate users.
                Yeah, all this forum is basically Micheael talking to himself, I, Pawlerson, PhilPotter, and most others are all his sockpuppets.

He really enjoys talking to himself.

Comment

Originally posted by nslay View Post

Lol, I bet Phoronix is full of "sockpuppets". Because BSD fans call everyone who dislikes BSDs idiots and/or sockpuppets. Furthermore, when someone encounters problem with some BSD system, BSD communities tend to yell something like "idiot" and "read that f...g manual" as well, which isn't what I would call pleasant or helpful. Especially when it turns out f...g manual does not replaces working brain and can't make magic to happen either (like e.g. writting missing driver or fixing bugged code).

I'm sorry to inform BSD zealots but I bet thanks to this kind of attitude together with shameless marketing practices of BSD zealots when they clearly overrate their systems, quite many ppl got negative impression about BSDs. Just because its wrong idea to crash expectations. I wonder if e.g. whole Apache Foundation who moved to Ubuntu after being long-term BSD supporter is a "sockpuppet" as well. Quite a big bunch of "idiots" and "sockpuppets", aren't they?

Comment

A sweeping generalisation from someone who clearly has an axe to grind - my interactions with the support community of FreeBSD over the last few days has left me with the impression that they are both pleasant and supportive for the most part. I like Linux as well - indeed in the areas I care about most, it is evidently ahead (such as graphics support). That is no reason not to expand one's mind and try something new though. Again, no one is forcing you to.

Comment

Working...
                    X