Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Patches For OpenMAX HEVC/H.265 Decoding

Phoronix: AMD Patches For OpenMAX HEVC/H.265 Decoding

Gallium3D's VA-API state tracker has already supported H.265/HEVC video decoding as well as the support being in Gallium3D VDPAU too with it being supported by Radeon's open-source UVD code. Rounding out the API video-accelerated decode coverage of H.265 is now OpenMAX support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I read a lot of news about AMD and hardware video acceleration, but how comes that my videos are still sluggish as hell in Firefox?

(I've got a HD 6870, using the open source drivers, Fedora 24)

Comment

You are not alone, there is no video hw accel for Fireofx on linux yet
      Go there and vote for this bug : https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=563206

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
        I read a lot of news about AMD and hardware video acceleration, but how comes that my videos are still sluggish as hell in Firefox?

Your card (well, almost all other ones) only accelerates H.264, but Youtube is now using VP9, so no video acceleration for you there. Also other sites (like Vimeo) still uses H.264, but maybe they change that to H.265 or other thing in the future.

Also, the acceleration is not working yet in Firefox or Chrome, as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by sheepdestroyer View Post
          Go there and vote for this bug : https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=563206
          about:config
          media.hardware-video-decoding.enabled
          media.hardware-video-decoding.force-enabled

I remember fiddling around with it, I don't remember what changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
            about:config
            media.hardware-video-decoding.enabled
            media.hardware-video-decoding.force-enabled

I remember fiddling around with it, I don't remember what changed.
            Those won't do anything. There's neither VAAPI nor VDPAU support in Firefox. And even if there were, OpenGL layers acceleration isn't finished yet, so all you get is software presentation and therefore the gain of hardware decoding is practically zero. So, OpenGL layers need to get finished and turned on by default, then VAAPI and VDPAU support needs to get implemented. Until both of these happen, video playback in Firefox will suck.

Comment

Originally posted by sheepdestroyer View Post
              Voted!

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post

1- Fedora doesn't install mesa's hardware decoding libraries by default, install mesa-vdpau-drivers and mesa-omx-drivers
                2- Youtube now defaults to VP9 codec, which AFAIK has acceleration only on Intel GPUs. You can use the h264ify extension to force the use of h264: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/h264ify/
                3- Firefox anyway doesn't have hardware acceleration on by default on linux.

Comment

At least flash for FF is still there and has vdpau support, so some decode accel scenario in FF and YT is still possibile... heh if you don't mind flash

Or dunno inject some script like viewtube and decode it via common players:

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post

1- Fedora doesn't install mesa's hardware decoding libraries by default, install mesa-vdpau-drivers and mesa-omx-drivers
                    2- Youtube now defaults to VP9 codec, which AFAIK has acceleration only on Intel GPUs. You can use the h264ify extension to force the use of h264: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/h264ify/
                    3- Firefox anyway doesn't have hardware acceleration on by default on linux.
                    It's sad that in 2016, Firefox still can't do that
                    In 2010 I could have understood since video hardware acceleration was still young, but 6 years after... knowing that video is a huge part of the browser experience... Mozilla may need to rethink their priorities...

Comment

Working...
                    X