Some Quick Basic Gaming Tests With Wine/Wine-Staging vs. Linux vs. Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Quick Basic Gaming Tests With Wine/Wine-Staging vs. Linux vs. Windows

Phoronix: Some Quick Basic Gaming Tests With Wine/Wine-Staging vs. Linux vs. Windows

With having just wrapped up the Windows 10 vs. Linux Radeon Software Performance benchmarking roundabout, I decided to run some very quick tests with Wine and Wine-Staging while gauging interest to run a larger Wine comparison...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    D3D CSMT and Gallium-Nine testing are possibilities for the future comparison if there's enough interest and support.
    +1 to that

Edit: Please include cpu usage as well, as the translation layer should be increasing CPU use.
    Last edited by Mystro256; 30 August 2016, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Where are CSMT and Gallium-Nine? They were the only interesting part, plain wine is fine just for reference.

P.S.
      Don't forget to use mesa git with nine because of bug fixes.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

While reading the title, I already wondered if MS had open sourced Quick Basic.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix

D3D CSMT and Gallium-Nine testing are possibilities for the future comparison if there's enough interest and support.
          I would appreciate that

Comment

Unbelievable that gallium-nine gets zero attention. And it's not only phoronix ...
            There could be full wine d3d11 support by now with gallium-eleven.

Comment

I hope for more nine exposure once it is merged to wine staging

Comment

wine > "native linux" WTF

Comment

I really wish wine devs would dedicate all their resources on implementing gallium instead of their current openGL conversion, and using the actual .net framework (now that it's actually open-sourced). Doing so would not only improve performance and stability but I would think it'd make many bronze or silver rated games to become gold rated. You could also consider the fact that the devs could then have the time focus on fixing other unrealted problems.

But, I understand that Mac is the real problem here. I don't think Mac has gallium support, though I could be wrong about that.

Comment

Originally posted by cip91 View Post

I would appreciate that
                    I second this. I have been using gallium-nine to play through the STALKER games. The performance increase over CSMT is quite dramatic, in my experience.

Comment

Working...
                    X