Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Really Worthwhile For AMDGPU Users On Ubuntu 16.04 To Upgrade Their Kernel, Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignorance is futile as always, Hawaii and Bonaire are GCN 1.1 as we all know that He tested those too and show their huge regressions partialy, as it is not nice to see shit

Comment

See there Bonaire's 2 fps across the board up to 18 in the best case

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        See there Bonaire's 2 fps across the board up to 18 in the best case

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...8-RadeonSI-Git
        That is 2 fps on average, which means it goes from 0.5 fps up to 5 so ideal to be compared to the llvm-pipe

Comment

I install the latest kernel (v4.8-rc3/) from the Ubuntu mainline kernel packages and added the padoka PPA. As soon as I installed the kernel and rebooted my OpenGL version dropped to version 3.3 (down from Ubuntu default 4.1).

I found these lines in dmesg | grep -i firm
          Code:
          [    2.513153] radeon 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for radeon/hawaii_k_smc.bin failed with error -2
          [    2.513207] ci_fw: mixing new and old firmware!
          [    2.513265] [drm:cik_init [radeon]] *ERROR* Failed to load firmware!
          I tried to copy some new files from linux firmware git but it made no difference.

Using 390 hardware.

Comment

Use those 12 hawaii firmwares lower cased one, not those 9 older... just a guess

Comment

Originally posted by Silverthorn View Post
              I tried to copy some new files from linux firmware git but it made no difference.
              Do you have the hawaii_k_smc.bin file that the driver is looking for ? If not you can get it from the radeon folder of linux firmware git or from agd5f's ucode folder:

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/ker...it/tree/radeon

The amdgpu driver is not enabled by default upstream yet so the corresponding ucode is not yet in the amdgpu ucode folder.
              Last edited by bridgman; 28 August 2016, 03:29 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Curses... moderated again... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 seconds...

Anyways, if you don't have the hawaii_k_smc.bin file you can get it from the radeon folder in linux firmware git or from agd5f's -k ucode folder.
                Test signature

Comment

I install the latest kernel (v4.8-rc3/) from the Ubuntu mainline kernel packages and added the padoka PPA. As soon as I installed the kernel and rebooted my OpenGL version dropped to version 3.3 (down from Ubuntu default 4.1).

I found these lines in dmesg | grep -i firm
                  Code:
                  [ 2.513153] radeon 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for radeon/hawaii_k_smc.bin failed with error -2
                  [ 2.513207] ci_fw: mixing new and old firmware!
                  [ 2.513265] [drm:cik_init [radeon]] *ERROR* Failed to load firmware!

Using 390 hardware.
                  Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Curses... moderated again... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 seconds...

Anyways, if you don't have the hawaii_k_smc.bin file you can get it from the radeon folder in linux firmware git or from agd5f's -k ucode folder.
                  With the latest stable kernel (4.7.2) the firmware loads as it should and I get the correct OpenGL version. It is only the latest release candidate having problems both with the default Ubuntu firmware and the ones found on linux firmware git. Also from dmesg it looks like the kernel is able to find the firmware but it is expecting a different version thus the error message.

Comment

With the latest stable kernel (4.7.2) the firmware loads as it should and I get the correct OpenGL version. It is only the latest release candidate having problems both with the default Ubuntu firmware and the ones found on linux firmware git.
                    Makes sense... I think the change to pick up the -k microcode versions only arrived in 4.8.

Also from dmesg it looks like the kernel is able to find the firmware but it is expecting a different version thus the error message.
                    Not sure about that, give me a minute to check the code...

EDIT - I think that error message about mixing versions is a bit misleading. The driver can load both new (lower case) and old (upper case) microcode... at the end of loading it checks the number of new images it loaded against the number it should have (8 in this case) and prints that error message if the right number of new ucode images were not loaded.

Also AFAIK that "Direct firmware load..." message means that the userspace code was not able to find the file.

So just checking... (a) do you have hawaii_k_smc.bin in /lib/firmware/radeon, and (b) are you using/needing an initrd and if so has that been updated ?
                    Last edited by bridgman; 27 August 2016, 06:14 PM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Makes sense... I think the change to pick up the -k microcode versions only arrived in 4.8.
                      Yup, those _k_ firmwares are news for 4.8 kernel:

Comment

Working...
                      X