Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Really Worthwhile For AMDGPU Users On Ubuntu 16.04 To Upgrade Their Kernel, Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elect View Post
    May someone write down explicitely the steps to take in order to use the new kernel for newbies?
    You can download the new kernels here:

The newest ones are at the bottom of the page. Click the link with the version you want, and download (if you are using 64bits) the 3 packages named:

linux-headers-******generic********_amd64.deb
    linux-headers-**********************_all.deb
    linux-image-******generic**********_amd64.deb

Here are the complete names in the kernel 4.8 RC3 series:

linux-headers-4.8.0-040800rc3-generic_4.8.0-040800rc3.201608212032_amd64.deb

linux-headers-4.8.0-040800rc3_4.8.0-040800rc3.201608212032_all.deb

linux-image-4.8.0-040800rc3-generic_4.8.0-040800rc3.201608212032_amd64.deb

Do not take the "low latency" ones, unless you intent to use then.

Install then with a "sudo dpkg -i linux*.deb" command line in the directory you downloaded them, and reboot.

If you want to uninstall, the fastest way is use apt-get with the version you want to uninstall. For example, the packages above have "4.8.0-040800rc3", so you type "sudo apt-get uninstall --purge 4.8.0-040800rc3*" and reboot

Comment

The downside of using the above metod is that when a new kernel version is out, you don't get it with your regular updates, so you have to manually install then. Remember that each kernel version (the 3 packages) use about 250 MB of space, so you will want to uninstall the old ones regularly.

Comment

i would recommend Manjaro for AMD Users because

Latest stable Mesa
        you can choose the Kernel yourself (Manjaro oficially supports 3.10.102,3.12.62,3.14.77,3.16.37,3.18.40,4.1.31,4. 6.7 [EOL],4.7.2)
        mostly Rolling Release
        Catalyst (fglrx) still available

easy to install
        AUR compatible
        steam preinstalled
        strong and friendly community

Comment

Awesome, I'm so glad to see this. Keep up the great work guys and don't stop optimizing. We Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
            i would recommend Manjaro for AMD Users because

Latest stable Mesa
            you can choose the Kernel yourself (Manjaro oficially supports 3.10.102,3.12.62,3.14.77,3.16.37,3.18.40,4.1.31,4. 6.7 [EOL],4.7.2)
            mostly Rolling Release
            Catalyst (fglrx) still available

easy to install
            AUR compatible
            steam preinstalled
            strong and friendly community
            also in the same vibe you have more Arch Based options:

Antergos
            Apricity OS
            Archlinux

For those who don't know, Arch based distros named can be categorized as:

Archlinux -- medium/expert/don't enable staging repos if you aren't an expert -- is the base distro and is always the most up to date but can be hard to install the first time for an user.
            Manjaro: -- easy/users/rock solid -- Manjaro is the sort of "LTS" version of Arch with a cool easy installer, is still a rolling distro but a delay is added when syncing with Arch repos since the packages have to be tested to dead before reaching manjaro repos and users.
            Antergos: -- easy/users/rock solid"ish" -- its basically a middle approach between Arch and Manjaro
            Apricity: -- easy/users/rock solid"ish" -- its basically a middle approach between Arch and Manjaro with a fucking beautiful set of gnome themes. Elementary OS like but with Arch

Comment

Originally posted by frosth View Post

It's not exactly true, I've got desktop 7770 and some games run faster than before. Bioshock Inf, Tomb Raider, Spec Ops: The Line, Deadfall Adv. Propably some wine games like "stalker" series or "remember me" too. It's not make fury from my verde gfx but still nice when i can play with it.

...and amdgpu works fine (on low clocks due lack of dpm)
              Thanks for the update. disfunctional power mangement excludes me using it, since it is on my daily workstation. I need to actually be productive on it too!

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                The downside of using the above method is that when a new kernel version is out, you don't get it with your regular updates, so you have to manually install then. Remember that each kernel version (the 3 packages) use about 250 MB of space, so you will want to uninstall the old ones regularly.
                Why aren't there PPA's with the varying levels of kernels available for Debian?

Comment

Just curious is there wine with gallium9 in manjaro? Last time I tried it was trying to compile parts of the xserver and I didn't feel like it was a good idea in a rolling distro. That and it was taking like 836 hours. /s

Comment

DIRT there is "wine-gaming-nine" aur pkgbuild (it's wine-staging+nine) or wine-nine binary form lcarlier's mesa-git repo if you prefer

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                      Test those Hawaii, Bonaire... GCN 1.earler again, with either radeon or amdgpu - there are improvments there too, but opposite
                      Looks like Michael took you up on your suggestion and tested a 270x. That's a GCN 1.0 Pitcairn card.

Found the same types of across the board improvements.

Comment

Working...
                      X