Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Americans can call it nuevo.
    Americans should call it new, but in spanish yes it is nuevo It simple means new driver, where nv is old.

جديد in arabic, новый in russian, 新 in chinesse, नई in hindi... pretty much ~100 languages difference

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
      Finally an apple to apple comparison.
      I don't see how you can think this is apples to apples. I mean don't get me wrong, it is a perfectly valid comparison for those people that actually use nouveau. But, waaaay more nvidia users need nvidia driver. As you can you can plainly see there aren't many reasons to use nouveau except for supporting oss.

Apples to apples is comparing what people actually use and that is nvidia vs radeon/amdgpu.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I don't see how you can think this is apples to apples. I mean don't get me wrong, it is a perfectly valid comparison for those people that actually use nouveau. But, waaaay more nvidia users need nvidia driver. As you can you can plainly see there aren't many reasons to use nouveau except for supporting oss.

Apples to apples is comparing what people actually use and that is nvidia vs radeon/amdgpu.
        You are aware that your comment is a bit trollish, right? And yes, the comparison isn't fair, but that isn't the point here at all. If you want to see how well nouveau performs, to what do you want to compare it? If you say nvidia, your own argument applies here as well.

And in fact, it doesn't even matter if that is a fair comparison, because it should only show how _nouveau_ performs, not radeon or nvidia. So your comment would make sense on a "nvidia driver performance" article, but not here.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

You are aware that your comment is a bit trollish, right? And yes, the comparison isn't fair, but that isn't the point here at all. If you want to see how well nouveau performs, to what do you want to compare it? If you say nvidia, your own argument applies here as well.

And in fact, it doesn't even matter if that is a fair comparison, because it should only show how _nouveau_ performs, not radeon or nvidia. So your comment would make sense on a "nvidia driver performance" article, but not here.
          Sorry, I didn't mean to come off that way. I was just trying to edge in my two cents. If you just want benchmarks of nouveau, then I agree fully with you. But as the poster I responded to said he wanted apples to apples comparisons, it must mean nvidia drivers vs radeon/amdgpu as those are the drivers recommended and best supported respectively.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Will the average american guy accept that there is other cultures and languages in the world...
            I have no idea since I'm from northern Europe.
            I can't think that i would be the only one that find nouveau hard to spell.
            It's not like it's a word that you hear vocally and you know how to spell it like if I'm one the phone helping someone.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off that way. I was just trying to edge in my two cents. If you just want benchmarks of nouveau, then I agree fully with you. But as the poster I responded to said he wanted apples to apples comparisons, it must mean nvidia drivers vs radeon/amdgpu as those are the drivers recommended and best supported respectively.
              right, but the context of the thread is "nouveau" due to the article being about nouveau. And if you see "apples vs apples" as in "open vs open", then it also makes sense. Also nouveau vs nvidia makes sense if you see the apple as the same hardware. or you compare nouveau/nvidia ratio against freedreno/closed_driver ratio (RE projects). Everything can make sense here.

In either case, it isn't really a point which needs to be discussed, because it is so unimportant

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                It's not like it's a word that you hear vocally and you know how to spell it like if I'm one the phone helping someone.
                well, that's french for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                  Well, in this case: is nouveau really harder than Eyjafjallajökull ?

Comment

In my language, Finnish, words are pronounced like they are spelled. There aren't really exceptions to that. Nouveau, even though it's pronounced like nuvoo, is easy enough for me. I kinda like it actually.

Enivei, wud it not bii fani if ai wrote inglish laik this? Tai, jos kirjoittaisin suomea, ettekä te ymmärtäisi minua. Btw, new is uusi in Finnish.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

right, but the context of the thread is "nouveau" due to the article being about nouveau. And if you see "apples vs apples" as in "open vs open", then it also makes sense. Also nouveau vs nvidia makes sense if you see the apple as the same hardware. or you compare nouveau/nvidia ratio against freedreno/closed_driver ratio (RE projects). Everything can make sense here.

In either case, it isn't really a point which needs to be discussed, because it is so unimportant
                      Ah, ok I can see your veiwpoint. But in this particular article the apples were both nvidia and amd cards. If considering that, I think I'm still spot on. But if the apple is a set of nvidia hardware or amd hardware that has multiple drivers to test, then indeed you are spot on.

Despite this I still think it's a perfectly valid benchmark article if just looking at the nouveau results. The AMD results don't mean anything because the hardware isn't the same. In other words you can't base a purchasing decision on this article because it wasn't intended to be an apples to apples comparison. It doesn't show the full picture.

Comment

Working...
                      X