Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Open-Source NVIDIA Tests On Linux 4.8, Mesa 12.1-dev

Phoronix: Nouveau Open-Source NVIDIA Tests On Linux 4.8, Mesa 12.1-dev

I haven't run any Nouveau driver benchmarks recently for looking at the open-source NVIDIA Linux performance since there hasn't been too much progress, particularly when it comes to re-clocking of the desktop GPUs for delivering better performance. However, with all the testing I've been doing on the Radeon side with Linux 4.8 and Mesa 12.1-dev Git, I decided to do a comparison with a few NVIDIA GeForce GPUs under this latest open-source driver stack.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, Kepler anyway seems to be in decent shape. Obviously still needs some work but definitely not bad.

Comment

Compared to AMD's open source support, nouveau sucks, and it will probably always suck. Graphic cards are too complex to reverse engineer how they work. Nouveau should limit the support to basic 2D support. If someone wants open source support, they won't buy Nvidia anyway.

Comment

Now that is opensource drivers comparison . You should pick & put some fastest Intel GPU which works fine, for those curious where is that at.

Comment

I am sorry, that those boost patches didn't make it for 4.8 :/ I try my best to get them merged for 4.9. Let's hope nothing comes in between that

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
            nouveau sucks, and it will probably always suck. Graphic cards are too complex to reverse engineer how they work. Nouveau should limit the support to basic 2D support.
            Disagree with this.

They know were they were putting their hands to, I'm truly amazed that it even works, imagine what could be done by nouveau developers if they had access to the documentation in the same way that AMD and Intel developers have

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
              Compared to AMD's open source support, nouveau sucks, and it will probably always suck. Graphic cards are too complex to reverse engineer how they work. Nouveau should limit the support to basic 2D support. If someone wants open source support, they won't buy Nvidia anyway.
              Modern desktop environments (Unity, Gnome Shell) use compositing window managers now, so even "2D" tasks now require 3D acceleration. A couple years ago (summer 2014,) someone at work needed a cheap GPU for his workstation so he could run Gnome Shell smoothly on a 2K monitor. I had him get a cheap passively-cooled slot-powered Radeon HD 5xxx series and stick with the open-source drivers.

Comment

On the off chance that there's confusion about this, Michael didn't successfully reclock the GTX 780 Ti (and maybe a few of the others) to the highest perf level. I think in his situation, the memory clocks up but the shaders stay slow, or something like that. [But that is the current situation with mainline, so it's not like he did anything wrong.]

And as wargames said abive, if you care about open-source, definitely stay away from NVIDIA - they're proven time and time again that they have no interest in supporting open source software on their hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames
                  Nouveau should limit the support to basic 2D support.
                  I'm quite happy that it does have 3D support and stuff. I've ordered an RX 480 which should arrive in 2-3 days to replace my old GTX 670, and since I'm not doing any heavy Linux gaming right now, I've set up mesa already - and everything works like a charm. Well, except for gaming, obviously, but KDE and other things using OpenGL work fine without eating CPU resources.

Comment

Originally posted by imirkin View Post
                    And as wargames said abive, if you care about open-source, definitely stay away from NVIDIA - they're proven time and time again that they have no interest in supporting open source software on their hardware.
                    This is popular knowledge if you have nvidia card or buy nvidia your only option is propietary driver

Because nvidia dont have any intentions in help seriously open source drivers, only free docs for basic card system recognition but nothing more

Comment

Working...
                    X