No announcement yet.

Trying Out Fedora 25 With Wayland, Early Benchmarks Included

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There should not be any real difference between native wayland and X11 rendering for a full screen game.
    This test basically shows that since most games in the near future will use xwayland anyway, you'd likely only get lower fps with wayland. If game happens to support wayland natively, it would most likely be the same.

Comment

Interesting benchmarks, thanks Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post

I had a problem with this too and it seems that icons on GNOME Wayland is a low priority.

That said, I made a workaround script that returns icons to the desktop on GNOME Wayland.

Here is a 30 second video of how the script it works on Wayland:

If someone wants to try the script, I can share it.
        I pulled the video over Torbrowser and it looks like you are using a Xephyr window with nautilus-desktop or just plain Nautilus with a background set in it.

I've done a lot of work on Caja, I haven't yet tried to test the GTK 3.21 rework of background-handling (folders only) on Wayland but this gives me an idea: Caja offers a "spatial window" mode that removes all chrome, so a normal spatial window (desktop is always a spatial window in Nauitlus 2.32 or older, or any version of Caja) with the menu hidden, no window decorations, and a style class set to force a transparent background (or your chosen background if you have issues with tranparency) should be enough. I could test that by just opening a normal window in Wayland in Nautilus, Caja, or Nemo (any of them) and turning the background transparent in my GTK theme. If that works, just put a style class on a special invocation of a normal window, strip all chrome, set it undecorated, hide the menubar, set that style transparent in the filebrowser's CSS file and we have a desktop in Wayland. After all, Wayland is always a compositor so all that complex fallback background code isn't needed for the wayland desktop. Any obvious problems here you can see?

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
          2. Is the numlock bug fixed in fedora 25? (it's always off when logging in a new session)
          Have you tried to install numlockx? That package turns on NumLock after starting X (basically after login).

Comment

Originally posted by endrebjorsvik View Post
            Have you tried to install numlockx? That package turns on NumLock after starting X (basically after login).
            Apparently numlockx is made for X, not for Wayland, so it doesn't work

Comment

Working...
            X