Microsoft Keynoting LinuxCon, Continues Talking Up Linux/OSS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
    It would be really funny to see Microsoft opening something under the GPL. (Yes, BSD-style licenses are still open source, but I think it would be interesting to see them deliberately choosing the GPL will all its implications).
    Old projects can only be opened with permissive licenses, also because they want to be able to run their stuff in BSDs that you know are a bunch of kiddies and can't accept GPLed stuff.

Comment

Pretty much all companies love opensource only when convenient and try to pull EEEs to control it, we aren't in a communist utopia kid, they all aim to profit at all costs.

The point is getting them to understand that it is convenient on many many things.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
        If they're serious about this and don't have some murkier long term plans (think "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish") then this and their open source friendliness over the last couple of years is definitely a far cry from when Steve Balmer said that Linux was "literally communism" at a financial analysts' meeting in 2000.

Then again with the way their new management, including CEO Nadella, seems to have embraced various models from the open source world (among others Visual Studio is supposed to be ditching their own Visual C++ Compiler in favor of Cland/LLVM at some point) they could definitely be genuine about their embrace of open source and open source software like Linux. Hell, they've recently gotten a penchant for saving money by getting rid of whole departments of engineers so any nefarious plans could be related to cost savings from moving to open source alternatives that are maintained in co-operation with other companies and communities rather than being done completely in-house.
        I could actually see myself using a microsoft-issued operating system, if it was (really) open source (free software). I already imagine people contributing to Microsoft's DE running on Wayland on a Linux* kernel (with of course some kind of wine layer for w32 apps). Or even Microsoft Embracing (hopefuly not EE) other DE.

Unfortunately, that's not going to happen anytime soon. If it ever happens.

*Actually, Linux, Hurd, Magenta, who cares? But I would still prefer GPL-ed software.

Comment

Well, there seems to be no edit swstem

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Old projects can only be opened with permissive licenses
          Is that a thing? Genuinely curious.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
            Is that a thing? Genuinely curious.
            So far they only opened stuff they also ship with windows and/or in a closed-source form.

I assume that they plan to move the whole development of that program as "opensource" (by doing semi-regular code drops, Google-Style), and will be able to merge any contribution meanwhile. As that's the only thing that makes sense if they are half-serious.

With a permissive license they can still add the "secret sauce" that makes it all work on Windows without risking hilarious screwups like Samsung's leaked exFAT driver that got caught in a GPL crossfire and had to be coughed up as true GPL driver (even as they removed all comments from it).

In general, companies (Google, Oracle, IBM, and many others) seem to favor permissive licenses for this reason. Because you can keep stuff closed too and this stuff isn't at risk of becoming GPLed if someone screws up.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
              The more i hear this stuff the more i want to switch to BSD.
              your opinion is very important for us

Comment

It's very ironic, and a bit sad taking Microsofts history into account. Yet again it shows how little vision MS have, that only recently they see the potential and gains in Linux/OSS.

No matter this "courtship" I will never trust Microsoft or have anything to do with their platform.

Comment

Ok Microsoft are you listening? For me to openly welcome you on Linux you'll have to port Direct X to Linux. If you do that I'll accept you into my sacred Linux Club of 12+ PCs & users.

Comment

People are so focused on the Microsoft-Linux connection that they are missing Apple. Apple moved to a BSDish kernel years ago and they can sell MacOS for $20 for your mackintosh now. How many developers are paying top dollar for a Macbook? Look at how much of a mess Windows Phone is. I foresee Windows moving toward a more Android like model. When you look at things from this point of view many of their moves the last couple years make a ton more sense.

The other thing is the car situation. Electric cars will be the norm inside of a decade and tech companies are much better positioned than automotive companies. This is why Tesla does so well. Microsoft has the technology and an army of engineers already, but more importantly they have the name recognition.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                      Ok Microsoft are you listening? For me to openly welcome you on Linux you'll have to port Direct X to Linux. If you do that I'll accept you into my sacred Linux Club of 12+ PCs & users.
                      Port it? No way man, they still have complete control and can kill it anytime. Why not Open Source it with a FOSS License? Better yet, just use Vulkan and urge developers to move away from DirectX.

Comment

Working...
                      X