Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Last Minute AMDGPU/Radeon Changes For Linux 4.8

Phoronix: More Last Minute AMDGPU/Radeon Changes For Linux 4.8

There already have been the main pull requests for the AMDGPU/Radeon DRM drivers for DRM-Next that in turn will land in Linux 4.8 next week. However, today there's been a last-minute update of more open-source AMD driver changes for this next kernel release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can anybody shed some light on the state of AMDGPU support of GCN 1.0 chipsets?

IIRC there was some out-of-tree test code waiting to be cleaned up and submitted to DRM-Next?

Thanks!

I'd really like to see my 7950 supporting Vulkan on Linux... :/

Comment

Check out that pull request. There are patches from 16 different AMD employees.

Sharing the kernel driver with the proprietary driver is bringing along a lot more contributors than the old radeon module got. Maybe even as many as Intel, finally.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post

IIRC there was some out-of-tree test code waiting to be cleaned up and submitted to DRM-Next?

Thanks!

I think this is it. I haven't tried it myself. Not sure if it will blow your card up or not. It may require a configure switch to enable?
        https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...ext-4.8-wip-si

EDIT:
        git clone -b drm-next-4.8-wip-si git://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux
        Thanks Amarildo
        Last edited by duby229; 29 July 2016, 09:08 PM.

Comment

You also need some other patches... I think haagch has the definitive post on this right now:

Test signature

Comment

Is Polaris 10 (specifically RX 480) supposed to be working? I get to a tty, and Xorg tries to load the amdgpu driver, but then fails saying it doesn't support KMS.

I'm on fully up-to-date Arch with all the testing repos and mesa-git repo enabled, with git mesa, xorg, etc. installed. I've tried adding amdgpu to mkinitrd.conf and blacklisting the radeon driver, and I've tried using both amdgpu and modesetting drivers in my xorg.conf, and enabling experimental support via kernel command line per the wiki instructions.

Do I need to recompile the kernel with support enabled? That's the only thing on the wiki I haven't done yet (because the first attempt failed to compile for whatever reason and I haven't gotten around to trying again).

Comment

Don't need any special compiles but you do need the very latest 4.7 kernel code... fixes for production hardware went in during the last week or so before release. Other thing is to check dmesg for messages about missing firmware, IIRC that might result in a no KMS response to the DDX.

Any chance you have a nomodeset grub line or similar sitting around from old hardware ? KMS is supposed to come up at boot, long before Xorg.
              Test signature

Comment

No, no nomodeset in the boot options, just a radeon option (which I removed when I added the amdgpu experimental option) and something to workaround a motherboard firmware bug iirc.

Arch's testing repo is still on 4.6.5, core is on 4.6.4. I guess I'll have to copy my kernel config into a 4.7 kernel src, compile, and hope it works?

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post

Thanks!

Last time I've checked it didn't work for my verde. There is some problem with start Xorg.
                  However, it works really good with multigpu config (haswell + verde) via PRIME. I can run some games (alien:isolation) but no dpm working here, so it's really slow.
                  You need agd5f amdgpu-si branch + patches mentioned by bridgman

Comment

atleast with the nvidia closed source drivers i can patch it to make it work with new kernels. seems more unix-like than linux waiting for AMD to update...

Comment

Working...
                    X