Microsoft Surface 3 Touchscreen & Other Input Improvements For Linux 4.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Surface 3 Touchscreen & Other Input Improvements For Linux 4.8

Phoronix: Microsoft Surface 3 Touchscreen & Other Input Improvements For Linux 4.8

The input updates for Linux 4.8 bring support for the Microsoft Surface 3 touchscreen controller, among other improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, when did it become possible to even install Linux on a surface? I've always liked Microsoft's hardware products.

Comment

it was always possible, what should be the problem? - I use two with Linux:

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
        it was always possible, what should be the problem?
        Ootb Tablet Hardware Support is horrible. e.g. on a Lenovo Miix 310 not even Sound is working ( Intel ). The WIFI/BT Chip comes from Realtek and is also not well supported (you need a extra Tool to get the firmware and attach the BT device). No Power Button or Volume Button Support. The internal Sandisk emmc Storage is not detected. The micro SD Slot is not working.

I'm sure its possible to get all working but its a pita.

So, the question: "is it working with x" is justified.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post

Ootb Tablet Hardware Support is horrible. e.g. on a Lenovo Miix 310 not even Sound is working ( Intel ). The WIFI/BT Chip comes from Realtek and is also not well supported (you need a extra Tool to get the firmware and attach the BT device). No Power Button or Volume Button Support. The internal Sandisk emmc Storage is not detected. The micro SD Slot is not working.

I'm sure its possible to get all working but its a pita.

So, the question: "is it working with x" is justified.
          My HP Pavilion PN120-NR actually worked mostly flawlessly out-the-box with Linux; power/vol buttons, rotation, speakers, wifi (BT didn't work with the default Ralink card so I swapped out the card for an Atheros one). The only issues with it are that the audio seems to lack bass (solved with a hda_verb), and that suspending a second time causes a hard reset (never figured this one out).

Comment

Originally posted by dstaubsauger View Post
            I've always liked Microsoft's hardware products.
            May I ask you: why? AFAIK MS is an awful manufacturer. First which come in mind is their XBox controller: for whatever reason they reinvented the wheel, and instead of using HID-USB created they own protocol. Even worse: one of most expensive XBox controllers have drivers exclusively for GNU/Linux (thx to a reverse-engineer), and Windows 10, making a worse experience than a cheap china gamepad.

Another awful realization is their Microsoft Surface 3 stylus. C'mon, they don't even seem to test their products D:

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
              May I ask you: why? AFAIK MS is an awful manufacturer. First which come in mind is their XBox controller: for whatever reason they reinvented the wheel, and instead of using HID-USB created they own protocol. Even worse: one of most expensive XBox controllers have drivers exclusively for GNU/Linux (thx to a reverse-engineer), and Windows 10, making a worse experience than a cheap china gamepad.

Another awful realization is their Microsoft Surface 3 stylus. C'mon, they don't even seem to test their products D:
              There is a reason people go for original console gamepads. Your cheap china gamepads will not last as longer and do not have the same construction quality and precision as a PS4 or XBone gamepads.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

There is a reason people go for original console gamepads. Your cheap china gamepads will not last as longer and do not have the same construction quality and precision as a PS4 or XBone gamepads.
                Well, I bought two such gamepads ≈4 years ago, with price for today's exchange rate ≈6$. Have never had any problems, and the number of sticks and buttons covers pretty much any emulator I'd wanted to play, i.e. nes, snes, PS1/2, etc.

I'm not sure if it's a known company, but I'm pretty sure that if I take a look at the writings on gamepads, I'd find one (two :Ь) "Made in China".

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

In fact, I think what you mention could be pretty much ruled out by reading people's comments about the product first.

Comment

This is exactly the same as with laptops, you still have to research on which ones are best supported before you buy. If you buy hardware blindly and expect it to magically work, you are going to be disappointed.

Comment

Working...
                    X