No announcement yet.

The Chromium Browser Is Finally Working Its Way Into Fedora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't Chromium still have an amount of telemetry on by default (much like Firefox)? I am surprised Fedora doesn't package it with this off by default. Or perhaps even opt for Iridium instead.

Comment

2 things annoy me on chromium vs firefox:
      1) it has chrome proprietary bits (i guess they're pulled off for fedora, so basically some stuff wont work and chromium will tell you that at startup. like WTF Google...)
      2) it uses 3x the battery life on laptop, which is, like, really not great if you're on the go

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        Doesn't Chromium still have an amount of telemetry on by default (much like Firefox)? I am surprised Fedora doesn't package it with this off by default. Or perhaps even opt for Iridium instead.
        What exactly don't you like about telemetry? I agree that Firefox's approach (opt-in) is best, but if some part of your browser crashes for a lot of people (or causes performance degradation), wouldn't you rather the developer knew about it?

Comment

Hope Chromium soon gets Wayland support...

Comment

Originally posted by balouba View Post
            2 things annoy me on chromium vs firefox:
            1) it has chrome proprietary bits (i guess they're pulled off for fedora, so basically some stuff wont work and chromium will tell you that at startup. like WTF Google...)
            2) it uses 3x the battery life on laptop, which is, like, really not great if you're on the go
            Also adblocking with custom filters is a nightmare in Chrome and Chromium. The UI of those plugins is so basic, and doesn't recognize the hierarchy of web page elements properly. You either have to write the filters by hand, or just can't block/hide a lot of stuff. It works so well in Firefox, and this is one of the things that determine the web browsing experience a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

What exactly don't you like about telemetry? I agree that Firefox's approach (opt-in) is best, but if some part of your browser crashes for a lot of people (or causes performance degradation), wouldn't you rather the developer knew about it?
              I don't know but I dislike Firefox's opt-in approach regarding Do-Not-Track-Me...

Nevertheless it's good that there was Chrome/Chromium because it pushed Firefox development pretty good but apart from that I don't need it.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post

I don't know but I dislike Firefox's opt-in approach regarding Do-Not-Track-Me...
                That's not honoured on the server side anyway so it really doesn't matter. My solution to trackers it to set cookie's expiration time to 10 days. FF doesn't have an interface for that, but it can be done in about:config. Though I'm mostly doing this to prevent cookies from piling up.

Originally posted by theghost View Post
                Nevertheless it's good that there was Chrome/Chromium because it pushed Firefox development pretty good but apart from that I don't need it.
                I hear you, Chrome/Chromium isn't my default browser either.

Comment

anyone could have used the appimage of chromium on fedora. Didnt knew than it wasnt on their repos

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                    Firefox is waaaaay quieter than Chromium, actually. It's not telling Google about every website you open, for example.

But telemetry isn't what scares me about Chromium (if I used it). Remember several months ago they silently pushed a binary blob that could be used to listen to users' mics? To me, that's what killed Chromium forever on my machine. "A scalded cat will fear cold waters". Once they had the courage to upload proprietary software into an open-source project, there's no guarantee they won't do it again. The difference is I'm not waiting for that to happen.

You could use this config file for Firefox/Iceweasel: https://git.parabola.nu/abslibre.git...asel/vendor.js

I use this Iceweasel from Parabola, which is a privacy-friendly version of Debian's Iceweasel. https://git.parabola.nu/abslibre.git...ibre/iceweasel
                    Last edited by Amarildo; 27 July 2016, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhenke View Post
                      I have been using Chrome for a few month now at work (because the rest of the team uses it). But I can honestly say Firefox still works better for me. With Chrome lately I had severe flicking and other rendering issues. Overall Firefox also feels better integrated. With Firefox again I am more productive.
                      Likewise. I keep a copy of Chrome around - for testing my work, and for those few applications that still require Flash, or which are badly designed enough to only work on Chrome - but I don't use it for everyday browsing.

Comment

Working...
                      X