Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Chromium Browser Is Finally Working Its Way Into Fedora

Phoronix: The Chromium Browser Is Finally Working Its Way Into Fedora

A sharp-eyed Phoronix reader noticed that Google's Chromium web-browser is finally in the process of appearing in Fedora's production repositories...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why did it take so long?

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
      Why did it take so long?
      It would probably never be, but extended non-pepper flash player support approaching EOL

Comment

Chromium still depends on some files from Google Chrome

Comment

Why did it take so long?
          Among other things they have written an x87 backend for V8, so it can run without SSE2.

And ​​​​​​they have been interested in the patches we use in QtWebengine to unbundle third party libraries.

So this is likely a heavily patched Chromium that integrates deeper with the distro than usual.
          Last edited by carewolf; 27 July 2016, 03:46 AM.

Comment

I have been using Chrome for a few month now at work (because the rest of the team uses it). But I can honestly say Firefox still works better for me. With Chrome lately I had severe flicking and other rendering issues. Overall Firefox also feels better integrated. With Firefox again I am more productive.

Even with debugging our shop front end, Chrome does not seem to have any advantages over Firefox by now.

Comment

There's either Google Chrome or Chromium. There's no Google Chromium, afaik.

Comment

Why did it take so long?
                Because Fedora is usually against applications that heavily link against bundled libraries instead of using system ones. Chromium contains a lot of bundled libraries and a lot of those are old versions.

Comment

do you know if Google Hangouts app will work?

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
                    do you know if Google Hangouts app will work?
                    Not sure about on the Fedora version but it works in Chromium on Gentoo - so it potentially works

Comment

Working...
                    X