Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu & Debian Abandon Intel X.Org Driver For Most Hardware, Moves To Modesetting DDX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a side question, which Intel driver is the default in all the other main distros, like Arch, OpenSuse, Fedora ?

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
      As a side question, which Intel driver is the default in all the other main distros, like Arch, OpenSuse, Fedora ?
      Intel's ddx-igpu-pro driver Which someone like and someone hate as usual

And if you have more users who hate it, things like this happen - which is normal and another is just edit xorg.conf and restart X away
      Last edited by dungeon; 24 July 2016, 04:15 AM.

Comment

I am on Arch Linux with Skylake, and Sandy Bridge, sadly enough the intel driver sucked for years on the latter, also sucks on the new hardware.

A couple weeks ago I had enough, I simply de-installed the intel driver and restarted X. All the problems I had are gone, including the tenacious tearing in video playing and Chromium scrolling.

I am still in love with intel, as their kernel support is so excellent making this solution possible. A generic userspace driver for decent hardware accelerated graphics, have a look at that nVidia!

Comment

Not that I fully get the article, but if a team of developers are moving away from reliance on corporations then it is a huge step forward, and unfortunatey something that should have happened years ago.
          Companies are the least reliant supporters of anything but net-profit.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Btw, are you on Yakkety Yak ubuntu?
            yes I'am

Comment

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post
              Not that I fully get the article, but if a team of developers are moving away from reliance on corporations then it is a huge step forward, and unfortunatey something that should have happened years ago.
              It is nothing like that , just read a maintaner blog post he explain reasoning for this:

The main reason for this was to get rid of chasing after upstream git, because there hasn’t been a stable release in nearly three years and even the latest devel snapshot is over a year and a half old. It also means sharing the glamor 2D acceleration backend with radeon/amdgpu, which is a nice change knowing that the intel SNA backend was constantly slightly broken for some GPU generation(s).
              Earlier this week Debian unstable and Ubuntu Yakkety switched to load the ‘modesetting’ X video driver by default on Intel graphics gen4 and newer. This roughly maps to GPU’s made…

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                Intel's ddx-igpu-pro driver Which someone like and someone hate as usual

And if you have more users who hate it, things like this happen - which is normal and another is just edit xorg.conf and restart X away
                Yeah, all decisions taken by mantainers must be because they are haters, or because users are haters, nice logic there.
                If it was like that none would have adopted systemd or pulseaudio in their distro.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post
                  What you mean for "reliance on corporations"? that intel driver is opensource and anyone can contribute.

Comment

I have a Haswell on my desktop computer. I never experienced any issues.
                    What is all these bugs you're talking about?

Comment

Latest Xubuntu + Comptopn on HD4000 = tearing with Modesetting.

Comment

Working...
                      X