Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    As usual, dungeon is hallucinating.
    Nope, i am very old school boy so i can "hallucinate" even more ... Yup i even support general purpose distro idea that user should made decision what driver to install and use, where default should be whatever generic works for most or whatever is enough for installation.

Once installed, well then... do whatever you want Option A, option B... option Z.
    Last edited by dungeon; 22 July 2016, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post

Intel upstream say that xf86-video-intel is better (more compatible, fewer bugs). IMHO this seems the case - monitor rotation works fine with xf86-video-intel but doesn't work at all with modesetting (using Debian stable fwiw).
      If you are running Debian Jessie ("fwiw"), then no doubt you didn't like modesetting too much. Jessie has xserver=1.16 I think.
      You should give Debian Stretch a go (xserver=1.18.3, soon 1.18.4), where the modesetting driver is in much better shape.

I run Debian Stable too (intel graphics), and when I move to Stretch I will be for sure ditching xf86-video-intel.

(My previous reply got lost in vbulletin... but it was something like this)

Edit: had to post a dummy text and then edit... you should try it dungeon !

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
        Edit: had to post a dummy text and then edit... you should try it dungeon !
        I know the trick, just forgot it sometimes

chrisb

My point is development versions of Debian, so what happens in Sid and soon in Testing, current Stable is its own and different story.

Also next Ubuntu might be affected with these changes, as maintainer is the same
        Last edited by dungeon; 22 July 2016, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
          I use EXA and DRI3, i don't use glamor since i always got rendering issues when i tried it before.
          I get exactly the same corruption like in that bug from the article but only with glamor and it works as it should with EXA.
          Is there a bug report about that?

Comment

Originally posted by soulsource View Post
            Is DRI3 meanwhile stable enough for everyday usage?

I had weird issues with it on RadeonSI when playing some Unity games (Empire TV Tycoon, Road Redemption), and from what johanneszap writes here, it seems those games still randomly freeze with DRI3...
            There are several possible reasons for that.

The Steam runtime is (or at least was for a long time) shipping libxcb < 1.11.1, which has a bug that can cause multithreaded apps using DRI3 to hang randomly. This can be avoided by forcing the use of the system libxcb (assuming that's >= 1.11.1) via something like LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libxcb.so.1':$LD_PRELOAD .

The evidence on https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=96396 suggests that Unity (or possibly the games using it) may be buggy, using the same X11 display connection on multiple threads without calling XInitThreads as required for that.

BTW, DRI3 can be disabled for problematic apps only by setting the environment variable LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE=1 for them.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
              Intel upstream say that xf86-video-intel is better (more compatible, fewer bugs). IMHO this seems the case - monitor rotation works fine with xf86-video-intel but doesn't work at all with modesetting (using Debian stable fwiw).
              People there were on Arch. You know Arch usually ships stuff that is bleeding edge while Debian Stable has stuff that is 1-2-3 years old on average?

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

I think it is relevant ("fwiw") that you are running Jessie. I run Jessie too and modesetting is a no-go (on intel graphics) at the moment. However, I did try Stretch a few times, and the situation is quite different. I don't know about monitor rotation, but the overall performance seems betters to me.
                Modesetting improved a lot in the last few versions of xserver (https://packages.debian.org/search?k...rver-xorg-core).
                xserver 1.18.4 will be migrating to Stretch soon, with even more improvements.

I'm for sure dropping xf86-video-intel when moving to Debian Stretch (or if the xserver gets backported...).
                Yes. I installed Debian Sid with XFCE and rotated displays now work with modesetting. However there is still very bad tearing, which can be avoided in xf86-video-intel with option TearFree. I also noticed a bug playing video in mplayer, maximise the window (alt-f10) and the video background isn't cleared to black bars like it should be but instead shows an old frame of the video. Apart from that modesetting seemed ok, but not usable for me personally until tearing is fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

Is there a bug report about that?
                  I don't know, it's on my "i do it later" list (been there for a long time, i usually do write bug reports but this time the default EXA did work).
                  I did try glamor again and it's still there with mesa-11.2.2.
                  Last edited by Nille_kungen; 23 July 2016, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Does GLAMOR make any difference? I haven't tried it out yet.

Comment

Guys, if you really want to see what upstream has to say about this, then:

"Ditching xf86-video-amdgpu in favor of xf86-video-modesetting?"

"Ditching xf86-video-ati in favor of xf86-video-modesetting?"

"Ditching xf86-video-intel in favor of xf86-video-modesetting?"

"Ditching xf86-video-nouveau in favor of xf86-video-modesetting?"

"Ditching xf86-video-openchrome in favor of xf86-video-modesetting?"
                      https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=95524

Comment

Working...
                      X