Radeon X.Org Driver Now Only Uses DRI3 By Default With GLAMOR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yash View Post
    I dont know what they say about the opensource drivers now supporting OpenGL 4.2 but on AMD side its not completely correct.

After seeing my OpenGL stuck at v3.3 I talked to radeon devs and learnt few pre-GCN card series don't support the newer OpenGL, even on mesa 12.
    I'm not talking about million years old GPUs. Catalyst supports GL 4.5 on my HD7450. So yeah, I know this is not related to the topic but, hey fellow AMD users, check your OpenGL version.
    This has nothing to do with the topic.

Comment

I'm not talking about million years old GPUs. Catalyst supports GL 4.5 on my HD7450. So yeah, I know this is not related to the topic but, hey fellow AMD users, check your OpenGL version.
      The HD7450 is a coffee maker. https://www.amazon.com/Philips-HD745.../dp/B005EEQ696

That said, according to Gentoo wiki it should go at 4.1 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Radeon if you have the latestestest Mesa and llvm (the 99999 is the "latestest" stuff in Gentoo).
      Probably you just don't have latest enough packages in your distro of choice or something.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        That said, according to Gentoo wiki it should go at 4.1 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Radeon if you have the latestestest Mesa and llvm (the 99999 is the "latestest" stuff in Gentoo).
        Probably you just don't have latest enough packages in your distro of choice or something.
        No, it's a CAICOS chip (HD 6450/HD 7450/HD 8450/R5 230), so currently no fp64 support.

Comment

As usual, dungeon is hallucinating.
          read here https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/c...f86videointel/

"This driver is bloated (UXA is fine, SNA is a big codebase barely maintainable by one person), full of bugs and hasn't seen a proper release in over a year, let alone a stable release."

"The driver is (currently made of) three parts: kernel driver (i915), userspace driver (Mesa) and DDX (xf86-video-intel). My proposal is to get rid of the custom DDX in favor of the generic one provided by the xorg-server package."

"xf86-video-intel is really just for 2D acceleration but modesetting does the same job with a common path (via OpenGL)."
          Intel upstream say that xf86-video-intel is better (more compatible, fewer bugs). IMHO this seems the case - monitor rotation works fine with xf86-video-intel but doesn't work at all with modesetting (using Debian stable fwiw).

Debian X devs seem upset that Intel has released git snapshots instead of tagging releases. Deb devs are recommending the modesetting driver even though they have no idea how it performs across the wider range of Intel hardware. The "bigger bug list" may be a red herring. Every distribution currently installs xf86-video-intel by default so very few users will have ever tried the modesetting driver. Debian X developers do little or no hardware testing and rely on users to report issues, so we wouldn't expect to see many bug reports until modesetting is default.

here a bench because everyone wants benchmarks, and modesetting destroys xf86-video-intel https://www.dinohensen.nl/linux/mode...lus-benchmark/
          A 63% performance increase in a 3D task when using a different 2D driver? Seems a little odd, given that Michael two months ago reported no performance difference in several 3D tasks when comparing SNA vs modesetting (same for AMD)... There were some wider benchmarks done in 2012 that show SNA performing well on cairo-perf-trace benchmarks with traces from Firefox etc.

Comment

I dont know what they say about the opensource drivers now supporting OpenGL 4.2 but on AMD side its not completely correct.

After seeing my OpenGL stuck at v3.3 I talked to radeon devs and learnt few pre-GCN card series don't support the newer OpenGL, even on mesa 12.
            The full statement ("open source drivers support up to GL 4.1 for VLIW parts depending on hardware capabilities") is correct, but it becomes incorrect when abbreviated down to something like "supports GL 4.1".

Some VLIW parts include HW fp64 support (in which case the fp64 GL extensions are exposed along with GL 4.1 support) while others do not. In the latter case fp64 extensions are not enabled, and that in turn means the card has to report GL 3.3 since that is the highest possible without fp64. You can generally over-ride the GL level to 4.0 or 4.1 in order to run apps which look for GL level rather than GL extensions, since as far as we know no app actually *uses* those mandatory fp64 extensions.

What the driver does not do today is emulate fp64 functionality on GPUs which do not support it.

But smitty3268 is right... this is kinda off topic.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by puleglot View Post

No, it's a CAICOS chip (HD 6450/HD 7450/HD 8450/R5 230), so currently no fp64 support.
              Just put this in /etc/environment and you'll get OpenGL 4.1 without fp64. From what I understand no game uses ftp64 with 4.1.

MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.1COMPAT

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                Intel upstream say that xf86-video-intel is better (more compatible, fewer bugs). IMHO this seems the case - monitor otation works fine with xf86-video-intel but doesn't work at all with modesetting (using Debian stable fwiw).
                I think it is relevant ("fwiw") that you are running Jessie. I run Jessie too and modesetting is a no-go (on intel graphics) at the moment. However, I did try Stretch a few times, and the situation is quite different. I don't know about monitor rotation, but the overall performance seems betters to me.
                Modesetting improved a lot in the last few versions of xserver (https://packages.debian.org/search?k...rver-xorg-core).
                xserver 1.18.4 will be migrating to Stretch soon, with even more improvements.

I'm for sure dropping xf86-video-intel when moving to Debian Stretch (or if the xserver gets backported...).

Comment

As usual, dungeon is hallucinating.
                  That is not hallucinating ... my point is that regardless what upstream set by default, some distros might choose different default and even different driver by default

Comment

Test, test... should robot allow me to post anything It seems best practice here to post anything and then to edit message, otherwise it might be lost in time
                    Last edited by dungeon; 22 July 2016, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post

Intel upstream say that xf86-video-intel is better (more compatible, fewer bugs). IMHO this seems the case - monitor rotation works fine with xf86-video-intel but doesn't work at all with modesetting (using Debian stable fwiw).
                      If you are running Debian Jessie ("fwiw"), then no doubt you didn't like modesetting too much. Jessie has xserver=1.16 I think.
                      You should give Debian Stretch a go (xserver=1.18.3, soon 1.18.4), where the modesetting driver is in much better shape.

I run Debian Stable too (intel graphics), and when I move to Stretch I will be for sure ditching xf86-video-intel.

(My previous reply got lost in vbulletin... but it was something like this)

Comment

Working...
                      X