Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon X.Org Driver Now Only Uses DRI3 By Default With GLAMOR

Phoronix: Radeon X.Org Driver Now Only Uses DRI3 By Default With GLAMOR

For those of you using the xf86-video-ati X.Org driver on a pre-GCN GPU, next time you update to the latest code you'll need to make sure you manually enable DRI3 or switch to GLAMOR for 2D acceleration as now by default DRI3 is not being enabled unless GLAMOR is the acceleration architecture being used...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And distros will choose their own Debian couple days ago enabled modesetting driver by default for any intel from year 2007.+, he, he not sure why

I guess they want everything possible to be on modesetting driver by default, else optional
    Last edited by dungeon; 22 July 2016, 09:29 AM.

Comment

It would have been nice to have a reminder on how to enable GLAMOR and/or DRI3.

Comment

I use EXA and DRI3, i don't use glamor since i always got rendering issues when i tried it before.
        I get exactly the same corruption like in that bug from the article but only with glamor and it works as it should with EXA.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevelyan View Post
          It would have been nice to have a reminder on how to enable GLAMOR and/or DRI3.
          This is the 20-radeon.conf that i created for dri 3 (and to test glamor)
          cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-radeon.conf
          Code:
          Section "Device"
                  Identifier "Radeon graphics"
                  Driver "radeon"
                  Option "DRI" "3"
                  #Option "AccelMethod" "glamor"
          EndSection
          I have glamor commented out but i think most know to remove the #

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            Debian couple days ago enabled modesetting driver by default for any intel from year 2007.+, he, he not sure why

I guess they want everything possible to be on modesetting driver by default, else optional
            What does it mean exactly? I see what you are saying on the package description https://packages.debian.org/stretch/...rg-video-intel (but it has been saying that for months now).
            Did something else change? You say "by default", does it mean the package won't be installed at all in new installations?

Comment

Is DRI3 meanwhile stable enough for everyday usage?

I had weird issues with it on RadeonSI when playing some Unity games (Empire TV Tycoon, Road Redemption), and from what johanneszap writes here, it seems those games still randomly freeze with DRI3...

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
                What does it mean exactly? I see what you are saying on the package description https://packages.debian.org/stretch/...rg-video-intel (but it has been saying that for months now).
                Did something else change? You say "by default", does it mean the package won't be installed at all in new installations?
                As usual, dungeon is hallucinating.
                read here https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/c...f86videointel/

"This driver is bloated (UXA is fine, SNA is a big codebase barely maintainable by one person), full of bugs and hasn't seen a proper release in over a year, let alone a stable release."

"The driver is (currently made of) three parts: kernel driver (i915), userspace driver (Mesa) and DDX (xf86-video-intel). My proposal is to get rid of the custom DDX in favor of the generic one provided by the xorg-server package."

"xf86-video-intel is really just for 2D acceleration but modesetting does the same job with a common path (via OpenGL)."

here a bench because everyone wants benchmarks, and modesetting destroys xf86-video-intel https://www.dinohensen.nl/linux/mode...lus-benchmark/

so yeah, that package seems to be on its way out, even on Debian.
                Last edited by starshipeleven; 22 July 2016, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by soulsource View Post
                  Is DRI3 meanwhile stable enough for everyday usage?

I had weird issues with it on RadeonSI when playing some Unity games (Empire TV Tycoon, Road Redemption), and from what johanneszap writes here, it seems those games still randomly freeze with DRI3...
                  I'm using xf86-video-{ati,amdgpu} with DRI3 at work and at home for several months without an issue (OK, there was a nasty bug in xserver-1.18.2, but it was fixed in 1.18.3). On the other hand I still have severe issues on old intel hardware (945gm) when DRI3 is enabled.

Comment

I dont know what they say about the opensource drivers now supporting OpenGL 4.2 but on AMD side its not completely correct.

After seeing my OpenGL stuck at v3.3 I talked to radeon devs and learnt few pre-GCN card series don't support the newer OpenGL, even on mesa 12.
                    I'm not talking about million years old GPUs. Catalyst supports GL 4.5 on my HD7450. So yeah, I know this is not related to the topic but, hey fellow AMD users, check your OpenGL version.

Comment

Working...
                    X