Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Announces New TITAN X Card With 12 Billion Transistors, 11 TFLOPS Compute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@everyone thinking they are not consumer cards: This is the most likely use of such cards.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      No, I'm just saying that rich dumbfucks do exist and are also pretty obvious to spot, while he seems to say that people that have money must have earned it through their superior intelligence so somehow their choice to buy such overpriced cards is because they somehow need them or something.

Of course I'm not saying every rich person is a dumbfuck, nor that every Titan buyer is a dumbfuck.

What I'm saying is that MOST people buying these cards (and ALL those that SLI them) are rich dumbfucks.
      And I'm saying they could all just as easily be self-made hard working entrepreneurs. Or they could all be black NBA basketball player millionaires. Or they could all be Saudi oil tycoons. I have as much evidence to support these claims as you have in yours. i.e. zero.

The fact is, the Titan X is a luxury product. No, nobody *needs* it, and it doesn't have a very good value (price/performance ratio) proposition. But neither does a Rolex wrist watch or a Porsche 911 or a Gucci handbag. Not sure why this is so confusing to you, or why you want to demonize a diverse group of people for wanting and being able to afford a luxury product. Take your hate somewhere else.
      Last edited by torsionbar28; 22 July 2016, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Its name is SoC. System on a Chip.
        Er, no, that's not correct. An SoC contains CPU plus all of the traditional northbridge and southbridge functions, but not necessarily a GPU. An APU on the other hand, is the combination of CPU and GPU, but not necessarily the traditional northbridge and southbridge functions. The terms SoC and APU are completely different paradigms and the terms are not interchangeable.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          And I'm saying they could all just as easily be self-made hard working entrepreneurs.
          this category should have good price/value evaluation skills, because they need that to be what they are.

Or they could all be black NBA basketball player millionaires.
          Not enough. These cards don't sell to a few thousand dudes, they sell to millions.

I have as much evidence to support these claims as you have in yours. i.e. zero.
          Kinda, I reach a most likely conclusion by excluding unlikely candidates, Sherlock Holmes-style.

The fact is, the Titan X is a luxury product. No, nobody *needs* it, and it doesn't have a very good value (price/performance ratio) proposition. But neither does a Rolex wrist watch or a Porsche 911 or a Gucci handbag.
          FYI, not all rich people need to show off how cool they are to plebs by gold-plating their cock and waving it around like the ones buying that stuff do. They wear fine clothes and drive quality cars poorer people cannot afford, but they don't go out of their way to show off hard like that.

Also, this same identical behaviour can be observed with all layers of human society, so just as guys wearing relatively affordable consumer-grade "renown" and "expensive" brands to show off hard are dumbasses, the same applies to those spending 250$ for a pair of (rich man's) flip-flops.

I'm not discriminating on rich, poor, skin colour, gender, sexual orientation. If someone blows money to show off so hard is a dumbfuck and gets called out as such.

Not sure why this is so confusing to you, or why you want to demonize a diverse group of people for wanting and being able to afford a luxury product. Take your hate somewhere else.
          I'm not hating anyone, I'm just stating a fact.
          Rich people are still normal human beings, the overwhelming majority of human beings are dumbfucks, so are most rich people.
          It would be strange if it was not like that.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
            Er, no, that's not correct. An SoC contains CPU plus all of the traditional northbridge and southbridge functions, but not necessarily a GPU. An APU on the other hand, is the combination of CPU and GPU, but not necessarily the traditional northbridge and southbridge functions. The terms SoC and APU are completely different paradigms and the terms are not interchangeable.
            Technically speaking, APU is a (meaningless) commercial name given by AMD to their stuff and not used by anyone else, while SoC is the name used to indicate "chip with most ICs of the system inside" by everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I would just add that if all those people you talk about were as stupid as you say, they probably wouldn't have the cash to buy Titans in the first place.
              Ferraris don't offer the same performance/price ratio as a family sedan, do you also think whoever buys a Ferrari is clueless? I'm not arguing that there aren't people with more money than brains, I'm just saying your sample is not big enough for you to generalize.

For the record, I've stated before that I don't spend more than $300 on a video card, so I don't really care whether Titans are sold for $500 or $50,000, but I don't have a problem with people buying them.
              TL;DR I am happy with my generalisation, yet you made me realise I should limit it to 3rd world countries with the same culture as my country.

I hear you, I understand what you are saying and I am aware of the generalisation. I believe stereotypes are based on reality. That said, I do not think it's okay to generalise or discriminate in all areas where you find stereotypes.

I suppose it could be a culture difference that makes our opinions differ, or the generalisation stronger / weaker depending on how you look at it. Most of the people "here" are not "successful" because they work hard, are passionate about what they do and strive to be better than the rest. We mostly just see people getting rich because they know a guy, whether it's corruption or tender fraud etc (warning incoming rabbit whole!). In other words, you see a lot of people here with Ferraris who just use them to sit in traffic and use the limited amount of distance that they are allowed to drive based on what their insurance providers can offer just to move from stop to stop in first gear revving along the way. I worked as a radio marshall in motor sport between 2008 and 201. I took part in some of the national and regional events mostly rally and gymkhana. I spoke to a lot of people along the way and found that most of the people who drove for a sport knew what they were doing, but the average joe with his fancy sports car was quite the loser (I'm definitely not saying every single one was). Most just got their sports cars from abusing people directly and uses it to make up for other qualities he does not possess. I also know people can do stupid things from time to time that does not make them stupid, I too had a super bike at one stage and did some really stupid things BUT if you keep on making the same mistakes then there is no hope. I know a lot of kids who are not in their teens anymore who get their parents to by titans for them on each release. It's sad to see the young folk getting sucked in by titans/ferraris/beats-headphones etc, but it's tragic to see older people still doing the same thing. Respect to the people with good moral values and who own Titans and Ferraris for the right reasons! Not people who buy beats, there are no right reasons for that.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Well, the GP100 has been seen. It's just squarely aimed at professional use. Anandtech explains why GP100 wouldn't work too well as a gamer's card. It's about SM size and the number of FP units included.
                True, I know that. I meant more like Big Pascal or GP100 or GP102-X or something like that, not Tesla. Or do you think the new Titan X will be top tier? SK Hynix should be delivering HBM2 in 1H 2017. And there is still room for more performance or am I wrong here?

15-18B Transistors should be possible and 11+ TFLOPS.

+ they called it Titan X not something extraordinary.

Comment

Thanks for the reply TheOnlyJoey makes sense.

Comment

Its name is SoC. System on a Chip.
                    Not true, some are SoC and some are not... for example Kabini and Carrizo APUs you can call SoC, but alse APUs and majority of Intel's CPUs are only half-SoC
                    Last edited by dungeon; 22 July 2016, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

You can wait 10+ years Intel's iGPU to get there ... their fastest is now 10 times less powerful then this

It is not comparable, it is like comparing truck vs mini car
                      that all depends on how serious intel go with their graphics, and for that matter AMD too. the next gen (rumoured) AMD APUs with HBM2 could be rather interesting...

As for suitability - Intel graphics is more than capable on a regular workstation

Comment

Working...
                      X