No announcement yet.

Developers Are Still Working On OpenGL 4.x For Intel Haswell / Ivy Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm starting to think that all the vendors should get together and stage a very polite mutiny w.r.t. FP64 in OpenGL. I haven't heard of a single app that actually uses it yet, but it's blocking GL 4.x enablement for a lot of hardware and the work required to emulate it in the shader compiler is non-trivial.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      But for games you can forget it, Haswell and Dota 2 no way. Talos no way - completely useless these days. Maybe Intel can run the minimal Vulkan compliance suite but no real games.
      Vulkan on Intel Ivy Bridge can sure run real games (Well, since a couple of hours ago https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/me...f4b735aace677b)!

Here, running The Talos Principle on Ivy Bridge:
      Thanks to https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/commit/?id=b9e99282a6e1b3b2b01645e37bf4b735aace677b it actually runs now.

You didn't say it needs to run them correctly, did you?

Comment

It was possible with hangs and later crash that way weeks ago, but that's nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          I'm starting to think that all the vendors should get together and stage a very polite mutiny w.r.t. FP64 in OpenGL. I haven't heard of a single app that actually uses it yet, but it's blocking GL 4.x enablement for a lot of hardware and the work required to emulate it in the shader compiler is non-trivial.
          Is it still, though? Intel is basically done, ARM gpu's aren't interested, and i think nvidia was always ok.

That just leaves r600 left.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Is it still, though? Intel is basically done, ARM gpu's aren't interested, and i think nvidia was always ok.

That just leaves r600 left.

There are a lot of GCN cards that don't have it either. Look at the double precision column.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              Well, I still think an implementation would be a good idea, but I do think your right that it isn't really necessary. IMO AMD could ignore fp64 and expose the appropriate GL support anyway and it would almost certainly be perfectly fine.

Comment

Here's a question: *Why* isn't fp64 used anywhere? The functionality it provides simply not that useful? Some specific gotcha in the design of the extension making it really difficult to actually use it in practice? What?

Comment

fp64 is really only useful for compute; it's referred to as "double-precision" floating point in most specs because there isn't a need for more than 32-bit floating point calculations in 3D graphics, period.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    I didn't see any GCN cards that don't support DP. All the ones that had N/A were Terascale. Did I miss something?

Comment

There are, however, a few OpenGL 4.x-requiring games that run fine on Ivy and Haswell hardware -- Divinity Original Sin's Enhanced Edition (the one that got a native Linux release) comes to mind, except that of course has a bug that prevents it from working on Mesa at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X