Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeForce GTX 1070 Looks Great, At Least Under Windows

Phoronix: GeForce GTX 1070 Looks Great, At Least Under Windows

Today is NVIDIA's paper launch of the GeForce GTX 1070 with the first Windows reviews going up. Our Linux review will be coming in the days ahead...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

were cards always this expensive? I remember a new midcard being around 100(in USD probably around 150. Inflation much?

Comment

The 1070 is certainly a better buy (I wonder if they can be hacked?), and the 1060 will likely also be even better value.

The 1080 to me is great for 4k gaming which I run at but here in Australia their $1170-1300AUD and sold out already, I can import one for 970AUD but again warranty issues and such, which is a concern because these cards get so hot they throttle (here in Dingo Land we see temps reach 40-44C during summer, enough to outright KILL videocards).

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
        were cards always this expensive? I remember a new midcard being around 100(in USD probably around 150. Inflation much?
        I bought my GTX 570 in January 2011 and it was $350.

Comment

NVIDIA has no competition atm, that is the whole reason. It will remain that way until Vega most probably.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
            I remember new cards being around $300. The Voodoo and Voodoo 3 were pricey, especially if you wanted the 6 MB versions. Not GB. MB. Heh.

Then the Nvidia Geforce 3 Ti, I think, was about $400. Hard to remember for sure. Yeah, an Anandtech review from 2002 lists a 4 Ti at $320.

Of course those were top-line cards at the time, not mid-line like this 1070 but inflation, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
              NVIDIA has no competition atm, that is the whole reason. It will remain that way until Vega most probably.
              Well, AMD has stated that Polaris 10 (whichever one is the higher-end one) will have 980/980 Ti performance with half the price and power usage. So Polaris will definitely be competitive in a certain way. Vega will most likely beat the 1070/1080 handily and be more of a competitor to the next generation of Nvidia, given the timing of it's release (whether or not it'll beat that generation, I'm not sure. Probably a few fps behind, like usual).

Comment

From the aspect from Linux gaming, the most critical priority should be fine tuning the performance of Vulkan. If it does not show comparative performance as DirectX, the gaming movement will be step back.

Comment

I might grab one. I'll wait for the Phoronix review to make sure everything is up to snuff on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                    Well, AMD has stated that Polaris 10 (whichever one is the higher-end one) will have 980/980 Ti performance with half the price and power usage. So Polaris will definitely be competitive in a certain way. Vega will most likely beat the 1070/1080 handily and be more of a competitor to the next generation of Nvidia, given the timing of it's release (whether or not it'll beat that generation, I'm not sure. Probably a few fps behind, like usual).
                    Still 3 months away for those, and next year for Vega. NVIDIA has allot of time to reap top dollar!

Comment

Working...
                    X