The New Control Center Is Being Worked On For GNOME 3.22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iznogood View Post
    This is the first year since 2000 I use Windows more than Linux, but I have no choice really
    FYI there are other DEs other than Gnome.

Originally posted by Creak View Post
    Lots of haters here apparently...
    Gnome 3 still sucks on too much things. Seriously, even Unity is better.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
      That's literally the entire purpose of the project, if you want to run GNOME 2.x, you're entirely welcome to; I'm sure somebody is still maintaining it.

I welcome this completely. The current Control Center is clunky to navigate since you can't go directly from one panel to another as you have to go back to the panel selector home each time. This is bad design picked up from Apple's OS X System Preferences application, which is perhaps not their best.
      Agree to disagree on your comment about OS X Preference design. If they are stuck with Tube TV dimensions you are choosing a vertical in-line slider over a series of horizontal sliders, if you were to overlay OS X's depth and breadth of its System Preferences to that of GNOME. In short, there is a helluva lot more in System Preferences than in GNOME's Control Panel.

Comment

Originally posted by bjoswald View Post
        I like GNOME 3 the way it is (in general), but as always, there's a few niggles here and there:

1) Allow us to change top panel font!
        2) Better access to startup entries
        3) Reduce icon size
        Those first two should be available under Tweak tool
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

Those first two should be available under Tweak tool
          But by now those settings should have been migrated into Gnome Settings.
          The problem with Gnome3 is that you have to rely on external tools/mods/plug-ins to tweak it to your liking. Doesn't help that those tweaks might not work in the next version.

Gnome3 should be mature and have all the features by now.

Comment

Originally posted by a7v-user View Post
            But by now those settings should have been migrated into Gnome Settings.
            The problem with Gnome3 is that you have to rely on external tools/mods/plug-ins to tweak it to your liking. Doesn't help that those tweaks might not work in the next version.

Gnome3 should be mature and have all the features by now.
            GNOME Tweak Tool is part of GNOME. It is developed by GNOME developers. There isn't anything external about it. I haven't seen any tweaks that the tools enables breaking in subsequent versions because it is mostly a GUI over settings supported and not otherwise exposed by various apps.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
              Lots of haters here apparently...

I do use GNOME 3 everyday, I welcome this kind of changes/rewrite that improve the overall UX of the desktop.

iznogood: I have a VPN for my work and it's easier to set up than in Windows or Mac. And what about GNOME Builder for an IDE?

chrisb: The fact that you don't like GNOME doesn't make it objectively the worst in the world, it's merely your opinion. In the meantime, GNOME is one of the most used DE "in the world".
              I don't hate Gnome and I don't think it's the worst desktop in the world. It's nice that the Control Center will be a bit more usable. But think about your answer to "What are the top 10 things we could do to make Linux/Gnome more successful?" Is "rewrite the Control Center" in your list? Maybe I'm wrong, perhaps it really is more important than I think, or maybe it's just low hanging fruit. I don't actually have a problem with someone doing the work if they want to.

Meekteef makes a good point about Android on ChromeOS; it has the potential to kill the popularity of Linux desktops for normal users rather quickly, and I don't think the Linux world has really woken up to that threat yet.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post

I don't hate Gnome and I don't think it's the worst desktop in the world. It's nice that the Control Center will be a bit more usable. But think about your answer to "What are the top 10 things we could do to make Linux/Gnome more successful?" Is "rewrite the Control Center" in your list? Maybe I'm wrong, perhaps it really is more important than I think, or maybe it's just low hanging fruit. I don't actually have a problem with someone doing the work if they want to.
                Your questions suggest a top down development model which isn't how open source projects works typically. Nobody ever contributors to the Linux kernel based on a public roadmap and a priority list for example. People work on whatever they want to. They are sometimes employed by companies competing with each other. Many of them are volunteers. This is a rather messy process but I don't see how any open source project would work well with a centralized top down approach. I am personally happy to see thriving projects make changes even if they are making progress on areas I personally don't care about. I don't complain when Linux kernel adds a ton of drivers for h/w very much people use for instance. Someone bothered enough to make this change and contribute. The only useful topic is whether this change is a net positive or not. I think it is a worthwhile improvement. YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  I can't see that one happening... It's basically a split between "Normal settings" and "Advanced settings"
                  plenty of people want it that way, but yeah i cannot see the Gnome Devs doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                    Am I the only one that feels like the Gnome team is trying to follow Windows 10? I genuinely hate the new Windows 10 control panel, since they've hidden away so much stuff I want to change behind extra layers of settings. But the left-side navigation bar might not be such a bad idea, as long as you can actually find stuff there.
                    Yes, you are the only one.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                      Am I the only one that feels like the Gnome team is trying to follow Windows 10? I genuinely hate the new Windows 10 control panel, since they've hidden away so much stuff I want to change behind extra layers of settings. But the left-side navigation bar might not be such a bad idea, as long as you can actually find stuff there.
                      what does Virus10 look like ? i dunno since i have never used it, nore will i. but afaik Gnome3 is looks more like MacOSX i wouldnt evenn know what windows10 control panel looks like, could you perhaps upload a screenshot of it?

Comment

Working...
                      X