Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeForce GTX 1080 Pascal Cards Go Up For Sale Today

Phoronix: GeForce GTX 1080 Pascal Cards Go Up For Sale Today

This morning the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Founder's Edition cards are available for sale as well as various GTX 1080 cards offered by AIB partners...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm not getting a "founders edition" but I intend to buy one of the custom variants and I'll use the Phoronix link when I do.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
      I'm not getting a "founders edition" but I intend to buy one of the custom variants and I'll use the Phoronix link when I do.
      Thanks! Much appreciated, a very easy way to help out!
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Michael what do you think about moving the "support phoronix" section to the top, before the "latest linux news"?

Comment

So you got a free card from Nvidia? Congratulations.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
            So you got a free card from Nvidia? Congratulations.
            Supposedly... Still waiting to see it.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
              I would like to ask about 4K resolutions: Can the human eye recognize some differences in the rendered image in today's most advanced games (irrespective of OS) when comparing 2160p with 4xMSAA 1080p?

Yes absolutely. Only because monitors stagnated for a long time on 1080p doesn't mean it's a great resolution. Even 1440p looks vastly better than 1080p and that just 70% more pixels. AA doesn't make up for the fact that you only can display a limited number of pixels. 640x480 won't look detailed no matter how much you antialiase it. More pixels allow for more detail as simple as that. More pixels are always better.
              Last edited by blackout23; 27 May 2016, 01:52 PM.

Comment

I would like to ask about 4K resolutions: Can the human eye recognize some differences in the rendered image in today's most advanced games (irrespective of OS) when comparing 2160p with 4xMSAA 1080p?
                Resolution by itself is nothing. Add screen size and *then* it matters. Get a 14" CRT from 1990 and 640x480 looks beautiful. Get a giant flat screen today and you can see the pixels of 1080p from 2 meters. 4k makes a lot of sense, and it makes a big difference, but only if you have a big screen, where you actually need the high pixel density.

Comment

That is true. But what if you just applied a high-quality scaler to the 1080p image and display the result on 2160p monitor/TV? Scaling to 2160p is definitely faster than native 2160p rendering. With today's games, would the eye be able to discern the scaled 2160p image from the native 2160p image?
                  Yeah scaling is faster than native rendering. But it also doesn't gain you anything. A high quality scaler is essentially a 2D version of anti-aliasing. Having more pixels only makes for a better picture if you've got real data to fill them.

Comment

I use a 4K monitor. Games and movies look a little better at 4K, but it's not a huge difference. Text, however, is far more readable at 4K, including UI text in games.

Comment

Working...
                    X