Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.21.2 Released With More Wayland Improvements, Flatpak

Phoronix: GNOME 3.21.2 Released With More Wayland Improvements, Flatpak

GNOME 3.21.2 was released this morning as the latest development version of the desktop leading up to September's release of GNOME 3.22...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And still no mouse acceleration toggle of any form on Wayland session, well done GNOME devs, keep not fuckin' listening to your users.

Comment

Originally posted by gutigen View Post
      And still no mouse acceleration toggle of any form on Wayland session, well done GNOME devs, keep not fuckin' listening to your users.
      There is no mouse pointer on tablets, if you use weird unsupported configuration you gotta deal with it.

Comment

Is it possible to run a multiseat setup with Wayland on Gnome yet?

Comment

I've been running Wayland for my primary session at home and work now for about a week in Fedora 24 without issue. I'm sure there are some rough corners still for certain use cases (mouse accel, as previously mentioned). However, it seems that all the major issues I encountered previously have been solved. Firefox (and other X11 programs) are not so sluggish, drag & drop works now, copy+paste seems to be predictable.

Only quirk I've noticed is that while you can drag something from a wayland window to an X11 one (file in nautilus to firefox, for example), you can't drag from an X11 window to a wayland one. The drag operation seems to be stuck in X11-land, so cancelling it requires that an X11 window is focused before you can press <ESC>

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisIrwin View Post
            I've been running Wayland for my primary session at home and work now for about a week in Fedora 24 without issue. I'm sure there are some rough corners still for certain use cases (mouse accel, as previously mentioned). However, it seems that all the major issues I encountered previously have been solved. Firefox (and other X11 programs) are not so sluggish, drag & drop works now, copy+paste seems to be predictable.

Only quirk I've noticed is that while you can drag something from a wayland window to an X11 one (file in nautilus to firefox, for example), you can't drag from an X11 window to a wayland one. The drag operation seems to be stuck in X11-land, so cancelling it requires that an X11 window is focused before you can press <ESC>
            Can you report this in bugzilla?

Comment

Still no desktop icons on Wayland. Just fired up a weston-launch session on another tty and tried to start the new split out nautilus-desktop binary, and got a "desktop is only supported on X11 message." Hopefully that is temporary as the Nautilus devs first had to split this off the rest of the program, but it is something that just has to work for the desktop case. Since Nautilus-Desktop can already open folders in Nemo or in Nautilus, it would probably very simple to make it work with any GTK3 file manager, at which point any GTK 3 file manager would become a valid option when using Wayland. Nautilus, Nemo, and Caja will all work if showing the desktop is first disabled, and that's where a Wayland capable version of nautilus-desktop comes in. It can be forked to fit the (minor) UI differences of the desktop in other file managers (rename labels) or used as-is once that point is reached,

Comment

So, it's going to again have 2 standards for the containerized apps (Snap and flatpak) ? why ?

Comment

Originally posted by woprandi View Post
                  So, it's going to again have 2 standards for the containerized apps (Snap and flatpak) ? why ?
                  Because once again, Canonical decided to go their own way. Flatpack is the renamed XDG-App, that has been in development for a while now, and is arguably the more secure solution since the libraries can be updated. Snap is Canonical's faster-to-market route which goes with basically static libraries.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

Because once again, Canonical decided to go their own way. Flatpack is the renamed XDG-App, that has been in development for a while now, and is arguably the more secure solution since the libraries can be updated. Snap is Canonical's faster-to-market route which goes with basically static libraries.
                    It is a bit worse than that. The update server for snappy is proprietary

Comment

Working...
                    X