F1 2015: Don't Go Racing Yet With AMDGPU-Pro Or RadeonSI Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Shouldn't it be the game developer's job to fix their broken game?

/sigh
    Should be both. Broken driver is a very big problem here

Comment

Originally posted by shiba87 View Post
      Should be both. Broken driver is a very big problem here
      If you mean Nvidias glitchy driver that allows broken OpenGL to run on them than yes.
      You do know that AMD-pro and fgrlx have certified OpenGL implementation.
      If the game works slow on certified driver than that is driver/hw problem.
      If the game does not work on certified driver its the games problem.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
        I got a strong vibe from Feral after talking to them that they are not really interested in getting things working for AMD hardware because all their drivers are beta or whatever and they are going to ignore them because of that (this is what they said).

Not a very good stance to take, too many developers pretending AMD hardware doesn't exist is bad for Linux...

I think you are spreading FUD here. Feral is the biggest supporter of AMD OSS drivers among the companies that are porting games to Linux.

Last year they bought lots of AMD hardware to do tests, they actually make bug reports to OSS drivers and implement patchs in the game to improve performance with the radeon driver.

Look what they did with the last Tomb Raider patch. Actually, that was their first game with official OSS driver support. How many other AAA porters do that.

Last year, there was a problem with the splitscreen mode in Grid Autosport. Not only they acknowledged it, but submit bug reports to Mesa and got that mode fixed by the time Ubuntu 16.04 got out with mesa 12.

So this F1 game is not working now, but that doesn't mean it will not work forever.

Comment

Yep, looks like the comment about avoiding AMD because the drivers were beta might have been a red herring.

The Feral devs do seem to be engaging on both open and hybrid drivers.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by pixo View Post
            If you mean Nvidias glitchy driver that allows broken OpenGL to run on them than yes.
            You do know that AMD-pro and fgrlx have certified OpenGL implementation.
            If the game works slow on certified driver than that is driver/hw problem.
            If the game does not work on certified driver its the games problem.
            But we already know Compute shaders is the key in this particular case and drivers fails in that area, even git ones.
            if the drivers works, the game will work too, and if both, Feral and AMD cooperate, will be better and faster. Blaming everyone, doesn't fix anything

Comment

I believe pixo was talking about the closed-source OpenGL driver, which has had compute shader support for a couple of years now.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                Look what they did with the last Tomb Raider patch. Actually, that was their first game with official OSS driver support. How many other AAA porters do that.
                Aspyr and Valve. I played several games on Linux, including two Borderlands games (Aspyr) and the Portal games (Valve). No problems with Mesa-based drivers (aside from the usual performance drop).

Feral is the only one who can't get their shit together.

I decided to let money do the talking and simply stopped buying Feral games altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

Aspyr and Valve. I played several games on Linux, including two Borderlands games (Aspyr) and the Portal games (Valve). No problems with Mesa-based drivers (aside from the usual performance drop).

Feral is the only one who can't get their shit together.

I decided to let money do the talking and simply stopped buying Feral games altogether.
                  It was Aspyr/Valve or was AMD effort, that make those games work? A have a Aspyr port that is a hit or miss in the radeonsi driver (Geometry Wars III). It is Aspyr or AMD fault for this?

Previous Feral ports do not work with radeonsi because the drivers functionality wasn't there. As the drivers get more feature rich, the games start working.

And because this F1 game not working now, all previous Feral efforts in OSS drivers mean nothing to you?

Comment

It was Aspyr/Valve or was AMD effort, that make those games work?
                    They make sure their games run when only a lower OpenGL revision is supported. Not sure if Feral only targets OpenGL 4.5 or if they even go so far to use proprietary NVidia OpenGL extensions.

I was talking about Mesa in general which also means Intel, btw.

Previous Feral ports do not work with radeonsi because the drivers functionality wasn't there.
                    Mesa these days has better OpenGL coverage than OSX. Feral manages to make their games work with OpenGL 4.1 under OSX but somehow not Linux.

As the drivers get more feature rich, the games start working.
                    I once asked Feral support which OpenGL features were missing in Mesa for Alien Isolation to work. They pointed me to the FAQ and where it merely said "Only NVidia supported". Dicks.

And because this F1 game not working now, all previous Feral efforts in OSS drivers mean nothing to you?
                    Which efforts? The entirety of Feral's Mesa driver "efforts" is this:

Wow…

Comment

For everyone saying Feral's targetting Nvidia's driver and exploiting its looser conformance to the spec, it might not be the case this time:

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ay/118607.html

Turns out that at least the menu rendering issue with radeonsi is due to Mesa generating an error that was against the GL spec (or at least the current version of the spec).

Comment

Working...
                      X