Clear All

Originally posted by pete910 View Post
    Seriously, stop brown nosing for a 1080
    LOL (stupid char limit)
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I got a strong vibe from Feral after talking to them that they are not really interested in getting things working for AMD hardware because all their drivers are beta or whatever and they are going to ignore them because of that (this is what they said).

Not a very good stance to take, too many developers pretending AMD hardware doesn't exist is bad for Linux...

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
        I got a strong vibe from Feral after talking to them that they are not really interested in getting things working for AMD hardware because all their drivers are beta or whatever and they are going to ignore them because of that (this is what they said).

Not a very good stance to take, too many developers pretending AMD hardware doesn't exist is bad for Linux...
        Until now, AMD didn't care about their drivers/users/developers on GNU/Linux, so it's normal Feral (and most of developers) can't do the job if AMD doesn't.
        Things are changing now with AMDGPU, but it's just the beginning, that drivers are not ready yet, it's too soon. We have to wait a little bit more.
        Last edited by shiba87; 26 May 2016, 09:47 PM.

Comment

If the game developer doesn't care about non-nvidia drivers and the game really has a bug preventing it from working on other drivers (very likely since it only works on nvidia at the moment), it's a very bad situation for other vendors, because they will have to add workarounds for the game, which can complicate driver code, which can lead to compromising OpenGL conformance of those drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            I got a strong vibe from Feral after talking to them that they are not really interested in getting things working for AMD hardware because all their drivers are beta or whatever and they are going to ignore them because of that (this is what they said)...
            That seems really strange. The parts of the pro driver that are "beta" (Vulkan, kernel driver, install/deployment etc..) have pretty much zero to do with playing an OpenGL game. The OpenGL driver is the same one as Linux Catalyst -- it's not like someone took it out back and "beta-fied" it.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

That seems really strange. The parts of the pro driver that are "beta" (Vulkan, kernel driver, install/deployment etc..) have pretty much zero to do with playing an OpenGL game. The OpenGL driver is the same one as Linux Catalyst -- it's not like someone took it out back and "beta-fied" it.
              Your OGL4 performance vs Nvidia is very low wile for D3D is almost the same. The difference is probably in some OGL4 extensions. You are the ones that are responsible: a) To identify those extensions. b) To correct or optimize those extensions. c) To inform anyone for those differences. Till today we don't now why and where is the problem specifically. Just to say that your OGL is inferior without a why, is just tragic.

Comment

Conspiracy theories are amazing, but at the end, like @artivisions said, It's much more likely the "other" drivers simply can't do the job due to some missing OGL extentions the game needs.
                Last edited by shiba87; 26 May 2016, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shiba87 View Post
                  Until now, AMD didn't care about their drivers/users/developers on GNU/Linux, so it's normal Feral (and most of developers) can't do the job if AMD doesn't. Things are changing now with AMDGPU, but it's just the beginning, that drivers are not ready yet, it's too soon. We have to wait a little bit more.
                  Conspiration theories are amazing, but at the end, like @artivisions said, It's much more likely the "other" drivers simply can't do the job due to some missing OGL extentions the game needs.
                  OK, I have to ask... you really joined Phoronix forums just to make these two posts ?

If you work for Feral then I'm listening, otherwise you have to admit this seems a bit strange. Conspiracy theories notwithstanding
                  Last edited by bridgman; 26 May 2016, 10:14 PM.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    OK, I have to ask... you really joined Phoronix forums just to make these two posts ?
                    Yes. Of course

Comment

Conspiracy theories are amazing, but at the end, like @artivisions said, It's much more likely the "other" drivers simply can't do the job due to some missing OGL extentions the game needs.
                      Both the open source drivers and AMDGPU Pro supports all the OpenGL extensions used by the game. Both of these drivers follow OpenGL to specifications, whereas NVIDIA breaks out of specification. Sounds more like they are just choosing to implement NVIDIA-specific workarounds while also ignoring everyone else. I'd imagine Nouveau is broken too.

Comment

Working...
                      X