Dota 2 Vulkan vs. OpenGL Performance Redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Yes except when I am working and people viewing this site are using ad-blockers (around 50% of them...) so I am not able to be compensated for all my work. Similarly, a lot of the PTS work where many companies choose not to take advantage of commercial offerings.
    None of the ads on this site are intrusive or disruptive so I disabled my ad blocker long back. There have been sites I've visited recently that wanted adblocker disabled, so I complied, and then massive popups with nonsense show up every click you make, and they wonder why so many people just leave it on now!.....

Comment

Yes except when I am working and people viewing this site are using ad-blockers (around 50% of them...) so I am not able to be compensated for all my work. Similarly, a lot of the PTS work where many companies choose not to take advantage of commercial offerings.
      I disabled my adblocker for this site but I still don't see advertisements -- are they not always shown on purpose or is the implementation maybe faulty?

Comment

Originally posted by elvenbone View Post

I disabled my adblocker for this site but I still don't see advertisements -- are they not always shown on purpose or is the implementation maybe faulty?
        What country are you located in? What browser? Any other ad-related blocking plugins?
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The ads used to be really annoying on here, but I tested every month or so until Michael got them straightened out. now I have this site unblocked, again. (If I weren't a poor bloke without a job, I would pay for premium. Unfortunately... )

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
            Thanks for being responsive, it's a start
            I still miss min.FPS data

Well, so 1280x1024 is clearly heavily CPU-bound on every card. Nvidia is still ~12% faster on both APIs. I think this and the fact that OGL is faster in GPU-bound scenarios confirm that they are still somewhere around "stage 1" (see http://gpuopen.com/wp-content/upload...ns_learned.pdf, pages 5-13). The same should apply on The Talos Principle. There is much abstraction in this implementations and just switching the API won't utilise all the advantages, while it still could help a lot when being cpu-bound.

That means they are still transitioning source 2 to vulkan?

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

None of the ads on this site are intrusive or disruptive so I disabled my ad blocker long back. There have been sites I've visited recently that wanted adblocker disabled, so I complied, and then massive popups with nonsense show up every click you make, and they wonder why so many people just leave it on now!.....
              I try to disable it every now and then but it's always moving ads so i can't stand it.
              I rather block ads then feel the rage in me and then go berserk on my computer and the surrounding.

Comment

Something really odd is happening.
                The results look cpu-bound but the cpu usage graphs tell us something else.
                Is this, possibly, limited to one or two threads(I didn't see that data given in the article)?

Comment

What country are you located in? What browser? Any other ad-related blocking plugins?
                  I am sure that Firefox tracking protection blocks them on your site, so does noscript.

When I browse sites I have to log in, those that need authentication cookies, like here, I do so through specific browser profiles. However, under normal circumstances I browse through a highly hardened browser profile and from that profile I can see the ads on your site being blocked due to a variety of reasons, it would actually be quite hard not to block them there.

Sample of what I mean by hardening:
                  Firefox bullshit removal via about:config. GitHub Gist: instantly share code, notes, and snippets.

user.js -- Firefox configuration hardening. Contribute to pyllyukko/user.js development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Figured it out, it was Firefox itself (the integrated tracking protection), not any plugin.

Edit: Just read SofS's post above. Yup, that was it. The tracking protection is all, blocking 3rd-party cookies and using https everywhere doesn't interfere with the advertising
                    Last edited by elvenbone; 26 May 2016, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
                      dang_valve Does the current Vulkan backend support that async compute/graphics thing? I'm wondering how much it can help the Radeon R7 260X running faster.
                      No, Valve's current use of Vulkan is quite limited and much of their engine is still geared towards DX9 capabilities.

I'd expect them to start using more advanced functionality over time, but it will probably be a slow process. Their engine right now simply isn't that complicated, and they want to keep it that way since they like their games to run on integrated graphics.

Comment

Working...
                      X