Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Apparent Exodus Continues At OwnCloud

Phoronix: An Apparent Exodus Continues At OwnCloud

Something's happening at ownCloud Inc, the company behind this popular open-source alternative to Dropbox and other cloud hosting services...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

inb4 Microsoft buys OwnCloud.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      inb4 Microsoft buys OwnCloud.
      Oh, another bad case of microphobia, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
        Would be funny actually.

Comment

I hope ownCloud gets rewritten in a sane and more performant language.

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
            Go for it: https://doc.owncloud.org/server/7.0/...ral/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
              Unlikely, it's a monster of random crap libraries bunched together hastily, like the average webapplication.

Meanwhile, Synchthing is written in Go language (various orders of magnitude better than php), and code quality is much better. Did you check it out?

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

Woah, slow down there son. A phobia is an irrational fear. Microsoft has a long and consistent track record of buying out rising stars in the software market, for the express purpose of burying their product and quashing competition. Both the US Justice Dept, and the European Union have sued Microsoft for this anti-competitive behavior. OwnCloud is a rising star, and Microsoft is Microsoft, so this buy-out speculation is based on fact, not fear.

Comment

This has me really curious now. What the hell is going on that everyone is keeping hush hush about? Someone needs to spill the beans on this one already.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Unlikely, it's a monster of random crap libraries bunched together hastily, like the average webapplication.

Meanwhile, Synchthing is written in Go language (various orders of magnitude better than php), and code quality is much better. Did you check it out?

I admit, I'm not familiar with the OwnCloud codebase, so it could be largely crap and me completely unaware of it, but I've been using it for years and have found it to be reliable, stable, and reasonably fast.

I've also used syncthing, and while it did what it claimed to, it can't house my Calendar, Contacts, share files publicly over http, sync only specific subfolders, etc, etc. So unless your needs are very specific, it's not really a viable replacement.

Comment

Working...
                    X