SteamOS 2.80 Brewmaster Lands The AMDGPU-PRO Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    Are there any plans (or available scripts / packages) for RHEL support? I know things are still in beta, but I've got a CentOS 7 system that I wouldn't mind helping to bug-test with.
    Not sure what the timing is for RHEL support but it's in the works. Main tasks are (a) backporting to a different kernel and integrating the work into the KCL, (b) backporting X if needed (not sure how we are handling that at install time) and (c) getting appropriate packages built & tested.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Not sure what the timing is for RHEL support but it's in the works. Main tasks are (a) backporting to a different kernel and integrating the work into the KCL, (b) backporting X if needed (not sure how we are handling that at install time) and (c) getting appropriate packages built & tested.
      Fair enough, hopefully things progress without too much delay!
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

@d2kx

I put those packages into a new Debian repo, but the glx-alternative-amdgpu-pro package needs a hotfix for standard Debian systems. If somebody used it directly on Debian remove the lines with fglrx (if no fglrx was installed) and systemctl in /var/lib/dpkg/info/glx-alternative-amdgpu-pro.prerm . The rest of the packages look similar to Ubuntu ones, first time that update-alternatives uses ld.so.conf switching with Debian. Not sure if it really works, no card to test. In case of problems remove fglrx and libgl1-mesa-glx (both) packages.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          After installing Debian, install whisker menu, wicd and qasmixer and remove networkmanager, pulseaudio, modemmanager and avahi.
          Translation: Remove anything remotely modern and replace it with a clusterfuck of archaic, decoupled userspace tools.

Debian testing is a rolling release distribution.
          For the umpteenth time, it's not a full rolling release! It's a periodic rolling release. Learn the difference!

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
            Huh? Why does steamOS get an RC1 while the rest of linux gets a BETA of amdgpu-pro?
            If you are special friends with AMD, they will give you access to prerelease drivers before the public sees them. Our distro's maintainers had to scrape many an fglrx release from Ubuntu repositories because whatever was available for download from amd.com didn't work with modern X servers.

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
            a ) Half Life 3 as a temporary SteamOS exclusive

b ) Half Life 3 with Special DLC or Collector Content
            Valve isn't that stupid. Making HL3 (even temporary) Steam OS exclusive is economic suicide. Maybe some cosmetic DLC will come to Steam OS first, but even that I consider unlikely.

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
            Translation: Remove anything remotely modern and replace it with a clusterfuck of archaic, decoupled userspace tools.
            Let's all buy into the brave new world of vertical integration.

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
            For the umpteenth time, it's not a full rolling release! It's a periodic rolling release. Learn the difference!
            Indeed. Anyone who considers Debian testing a proper rolling release distro should read this Debian developer's take:
            Since this has been a major request from users for a long time, I can only cool with the idea of seeing the Debian project support a rolling release. However I’m not pleased with the proposed ideas , since they don’t actually include any serious plan to make this happen. Sorry guys, but a big GR…

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I noticed yesterday there are 16.40 drivers in the SteamOS repo now.
              I installed it, and its working great on my R7 260x (GCN 1.1)

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

I did
                Code:
                rm /tmp/*
                and received a lot of errors. And now I only have 48.6 fps instead of 48.7 fps

dude, thats because you didn't update to the latest version yet, that patch deliverse an impresive 0.2 fps boost, should give a total of 48.8 fps

Comment

Working...
                X