Intel Might Actually Be Done With OpenGL 4.4 In Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Will Khronos Group ever make a OpenGL 4.6 release or is it all about Vulkan now?
    August.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Lysius View Post
      This means mesa will stay at version 12.x forever…

Until Kronos releases another spec version, either OpenGL, OpenGL ES or Vulkan.

Comment

So if Intel is about to land OpenGL 4.5 support in the driver that also means mainline Mesa will also be bumped to that too? After that, it will just mainly be working on bring GL 4.x to LLVMPipe and other software renderers and ES 3.2. They'll probably get 2 years to get GL 4.6 implemented before 4.7.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
          So if Intel is about to land OpenGL 4.5 support in the driver that also means mainline Mesa will also be bumped to that too? After that, it will just mainly be working on bring GL 4.x to LLVMPipe and other software renderers and ES 3.2. They'll probably get 2 years to get GL 4.6 implemented before 4.7.
          There's still radeonsi, r600g and nouveau to catch up, plus a bunch of performance features and Vulkan renderers, workarounds for buggy games... Not sure what level of support other vendors (e.g. VC4) can reach. There's still a few things left to work on.
          Last edited by ResponseWriter; 25 May 2016, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Why does Haswell need a separate effort from Broadwell? I thought the later was a "tick", i.e. die shrink, so microarchitecture should be the same?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              Why does Haswell need a separate effort from Broadwell? I thought the later was a "tick", i.e. die shrink, so microarchitecture should be the same?
              The tick/tock stuff only refers to CPUs, GPUs have their own thing. The Haswell GPU is gen7.5, the Broadwell GPU is gen8. They're quite different, even more so than a mere 0.5 generation increase might imply.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                Is the Unreal Engine problem resolved yet so OpenGL 4.3 can be turned on?
                I'm curious about what the new intel restructuring and wonder why Intel wanted OpenGL4.5 so bad in the next mesa release, it has to be something more then just adding that support since it's a rush.
                Maybe has to do with chromeos requirements?
                An ungodly number of those things are sold to schools, and, increasingly, to normal folk.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                  I'm curious about what the new intel restructuring and wonder why Intel wanted OpenGL4.5 so bad in the next mesa release, it has to be something more then just adding that support since it's a rush.
                  Maybe it's not Intel rushing things. It looks more like Ilia Mirkin and Dave Airlie at one point in time realized how close to 4.5 Mesa really was. Thenn Kenneth Grauke from Intel thought that yes, 4.5 or at least 4.3 might be doable. That was when Dave Airlie wrote the 4.5 or bust mail, while Intel managed to get "their" people (Igalia, Collabora, internal) motivated enough to at least try to get the missing stuff in place - or they self-motivated.

I probably got quite a few things wrong but it really looks to me that the initial push came from Dave and Ilia.

Comment

Originally posted by W.Irrkopf View Post
                    I probably got quite a few things wrong
                    you could start from 14:58 https://people.freedesktop.org/~cbri...ate=2016-05-14

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      Great link.
                      Assuming the simd32 work, it appears the next mesa will get a new major number, and can advertise the most current ogl standard.
                      Pretty damn amazing, if you ask me, and once that's done, performance will become priority, I'd imagine.
                      To that end, apitrace will become an essential part of the linux gamer's toolkit.

Comment

Working...
                      X