Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nginx 1.11 Web Server Released

Phoronix: Nginx 1.11 Web Server Released

Version 1.11 of the open-source, high-performance Nginx web-server is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice Whenever it arrives in Tumbleweed's build service repo I might switch to it. For whatever reason, TW's actual nginx package is still on 1.8...

Edit: Looks like nginx in the main repo is up to 1.10 now
    Last edited by Guest; 26 May 2016, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Does it serve PHP yet?

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
        Does it serve PHP yet?
        On its own (afaik), no. Still needs PHP-FPM.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
          On its own (afaik), no. Still needs PHP-FPM.
          I think that having (PHP) on it's own would an important step.

Comment

Why us PHP-FPM not good enough for your needs?

Comment

Is there a particular reason why?

I like the current approach of having a separate handler for PHP, but then again, maybe I'm just used to it nginx just does its thing, and then passes PHP scripts over to PHP-FPM, and then from there, runs the scripts. For any website that doesn't use PHP, you just don't set it to use PHP-FPM. You can tweak nginx for a specific set-up, and then tweak PHP-FPM separately. People that don't need or plan to need PHP however can choose not to use PHP-FPM and just use nginx by itself.

With Apache's default approach, as I understand PHP support is built-in. Initially this didn't let you achieve the same level of performance as nginx + PHP-FPM, but I believe Apache has some relatively new event thing that is supposed to speed it up pretty nicely (although I'm not sure if this affects PHP or other things directly). And you could also run PHP-FPM separately with Apache as well.
              Last edited by Guest; 30 May 2016, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

Is there a particular reason why?

I like the current approach of having a separate handler for PHP, but then again, maybe I'm just used to it nginx just does its thing, and then passes PHP scripts over to PHP-FPM, and then from there, runs the scripts. For any website that doesn't use PHP, you just don't set it to use PHP-FPM. You can tweak nginx for a specific set-up, and then tweak PHP-FPM separately. People that don't need or plan to need PHP however can choose not to use PHP-FPM and just use nginx by itself.

With Apache's default approach, as I understand PHP support is built-in. Initially this didn't let you achieve the same level of performance as nginx + PHP-FPM, but I believe Apache has some relatively new event thing that is supposed to speed it up pretty nicely (although I'm not sure if this affects PHP or other things directly). And you could also run PHP-FPM separately with Apache as well.
                Well my reason is mainly ease of setup.
                But when i think that i dislike systemd because it does too much and is getting gigantic, i have to admit the nginx way is better.
                Apache did the same thing. It kept adding features until it got bloated beyond repair.
                Maybe i need to change the way i think, because if more projects took the same aproach we would have much faster, simpler software.

Comment

Working...
                X