AMDGPU-PRO Beta 2 vs. Mesa 11.3 + Linux 4.6: Very Competitive For Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    I think amd should make clear that amdgpu-pro is a workstation-only driver.
    Eventually I think it is understood that will be the case. In the short term there are some games where the closed source GL driver is faster and others where Mesa is faster. We seem to be pretty close to the point where Mesa covers all the non-workstation requirements without users feeling like they are losing out by not having the closed source GL driver but I see that more as "a few months from now" than "six months ago".
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post
      i have a question . why not just do away with the proprietary bits? it is because opening the stuff up means risking some IP assets ? Also wouldn't it be easier/convenient/time and money saving to have one unified development effort ?
      Can we please have a sticky (or a web 3.0 equivalent....perhaps an webasm applet that looks for this content and throws up a window saying "Click here to increase girth!")?

Comment

Has anyone tried this driver with dual monitors? As soon as I login to ubuntu 16.04 the desktop freezes, but I can still move my mouse. Just curious if other have tried it. I am using an R9 290, fresh ubuntu install (on a spare HDD just to test the driver) Works great single monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          This is the exact kind of things which will earn you quite a few tips once the regression get discovered.
          Considering the workload of Michael and the time needed for bissect I am pretty sure that focusing on news and benchmark is much more useful and profitable than bugtracking...

Comment

Michael yes Bioshock has some bugs and works very slow on radeonsi, but your DIrt comparison is totally wrong.

With amdgpu-pro you can not set many options to high or ultra(Compane of Heros 2 also affected), advance light also unavailable, disabling advance light with radeonsi on ultra preset increases fps form 6-7 to 25-30, so for fair comparison you should compare only with medium preset.

my result - http://www.gearsongallium.com/?p=3194
            Dirt: Showdown Mesa-git Amdgpu-pro
            Medium 57,86 61,54
            High* 52,3 58,21

Comment

It looks like Apitrace is unable to record BioShock Infinite.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

But Linux is not only for profit it is also about Honor and the will to 1337 over the cockroaches called Closed-Source crums.
                Amen.

Comment

New driver works fine on my AMD 7790 & Unity. I don't know why, but I still can't get them working on GNOME-Shell.

Comment

I was pretty psyched about your Bioshock results. I have an R9 380X which is basically a slightly better and slightly faster R9 285. I never ended up playing Bioshock on Linux before because in the menu I already got like...20 FPS, I didn't have much hope for the game.

Now I still get lousy performance in the menu. And in the game it ranges from 30 to 60. Very wild from what's going on in the game. Now I'm wondering...how the hell did you get 66? Is it a bottleneck somewhere else in the system? Because my GPU seems to be pretty bored. (See radeontop/ htop screenshot via ssh: http://imgur.com/IzbOlPx )

My system:
                    Phenom II X6, 1090T @ 4GHz
                    Asus Sabertooth 990fx
                    16GB 1600MHz DDR3
                    Sapphire R9 380X

Game is played off a HD, OS on SSD.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

phoronix Michael, could you please post the whole benchmark log file corresponding to the Bioshock benchmark which resulted in 66.30 FPS? The log file is located in "$HOME/.local/share/irrationalgames/bioshockinfinite/GameDocuments/My Games/BioShock Infinite/Benchmarks".
                      Wait...do you mean me or Michael with that message?
                      I didn't use the phoronix test suite. I just played the game and used the Steam ingame overlay. I will try it again with the phoronix benchmarking thing

Update: For me the pts/bioshock-infinite-1.0.1 benchmark doesn't even start with the phoronix test suite :C
                      Last edited by spacekookie; 27 May 2016, 06:01 AM. Reason: New information

Comment

Working...
                      X