Multiple OpenGL 4.x Adjustments Hits Mainline Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V10lator View Post
    You're right, Intel has everything in place, too, but the code which finally enables the extension sits in a subfolder called "state_tracker". While I'm not sure I guess that means the gallium state tracker, so Intel can't benefit from it.
    Anyway, enabling the same extension for the Intel driver should be a simple task, so let's have a look at r600g instead (according to mesamatrix GL_ARB_compute_shader, GL_ARB_shader_atomic_counters, GL_ARB_shader_image_load_store, GL_ARB_shader_image_size and GL_ARB_shdaer_storage_buffer_object are missing - does somebody know if these are worked on?).
    If I remember correctly there was only a dev working on r600 at least last year.

Comment

What are the devs going to do after finishing 4.5?
      • Backport 4.5 to older hardware, or at least as much as is doable (Northern Islands, Sandy Bridge, etc)
      • Tons of performance optimization to make the drivers not run terribly
      • Working OpenCL
      • Vulkan optimization / improvement / integration
      • Multi-GPU
      • Variable refresh rate support
      • More userspace tuneables (ie, hardware level AA like some Windows drivers have)
      • Openmax support!

Really though, the paid devs will have no shortage of work to do optimizing Mesa even after they have caught up implementing OpenGL.
      Last edited by zanny; 24 May 2016, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
        • Backport 4.5 to older hardware, or at least as much as is doable (Northern Islands, Sandy Bridge, etc)

Sorry to disappoint you, but Sandybridge only supports 3.3. It doesn't have hardware support for tessellation. As for r600, I doubt even NI/Evergreen can support 4.5. I believe catalyst only supports (supported?) 4.3 on those cards (well, at least last time I checked), and most of those cards don't have HW support for fp64 extensions either, so that has to be implemented in sw like it was done for Intel.

Comment

Older hardware most likely won't happen for many reasons - major one is because it's old. They will add support where they can. As for finishing API till 4.5 - next stage is actually optimizing and making it run fast as they can. At this point they just crunch code without much afterthought. So refactoring is next big and most important target.

Vulkan driver for AMD is different team and it's code will be released separately. As for Nouveau I doubt we will see them tackling on Vulkan any time soon. Also for Intel Vulkan is done by different team I think. They have lot of tasks on their plate though.

Comment

Originally posted by Fegr View Post

It should be enabled!
            And they deleted KHR_robust_buffer_access_behavior from the GL3.txt that only Intel had. It was never a core extension.
            Those extensions are not part of OpenGL 4.5. It called OpenGL 2015, but Khronos will surely soon release OpenGL 4.6 that contain those parts.
            Is that because GL_KHR_robustness is a pure superset of KHR_robust_buffer_access_behavior?
            What is the difference?
            If GL_KHR_robustness is not a superset of KHR_robust_buffer_access_behavior,
            what features does KHR_robust_buffer_access_behavior bring that GL_KHR_robustness has not.

Comment

MesaMatrix.net is now looking a lot more green this morning.
              Sounds like summer is coming!

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                • Tons of performance optimization to make the drivers not run terribly
                • Working OpenCL
                • Vulkan optimization / improvement / integration
                • Multi-GPU
                • Variable refresh rate support
                • More userspace tuneables (ie, hardware level AA like some Windows drivers have)

Really though, the paid devs will have no shortage of work to do optimizing Mesa even after they have caught up implementing OpenGL.
                Multi-GPU will probably never be done for OpenGL. They will probably try to do it in Vulkan for better performance. Northern Island will probably stay at 4.1. The rest is achievable.

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post
                  Also for Intel Vulkan is done by different team I think. They have lot of tasks on their plate though.
                  It's actually the same team - several Mesa developers wrote Intel's Vulkan driver for Linux. They're now working on both Vulkan and GL.
                  Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
                  Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

BTW: both I965 and NVC0 have now OpenGL 4.3 support.

Comment

Originally posted by boffo View Post
                      Northern Island will probably stay at 4.1
                      you are dead wrong on this one

Comment

Working...
                      X