Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2FS & Btrfs Get Fixes For Linux 4.7 Kernel

Phoronix: F2FS & Btrfs Get Fixes For Linux 4.7 Kernel

The Btrfs and F2FS file-system updates were submitted this weekend for the Linux 4.7 kernel merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

simple question: if I install a linux distro into an USB how can I chose f2fs file system or another file system? thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
      simple question: if I install a linux distro into an USB how can I chose f2fs file system or another file system? thanks.
      it depends on what distro and how do you install it

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        it depends on what distro and how do you install it
        I assume to install a distro as lubuntu or kubuntu or one of linux mint distro into an USB stick.

Comment

I assume to install a distro as lubuntu or kubuntu or one of linux mint distro into an USB stick.
          I don't think any of their installers make that available as an install-time option. If they ship mkfs.f2fs then you might be able to partition the system manually and then tell the installer to use the partitions without formatting, but even then it's shaky. Best bet is to just use Arch or Gentoo (pref Arch) which makes things like that available.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Fixing O_DIRECT maybe it will fix that issue I have with VirtualBox. Virtualbox refuse to work unless disk image file have disabled COW. VirtualBox use O_DIRECT for them.

Comment

In this case, choose "I want something else" in *buntu installer. It would start partitioner and you could assemble your mount points & somesuch on your own. I do not remember if GUI installer could handle f2fs though. You may need to install f2fs tools and/or format partition to F2FS manually. Though it would offer plenty of filesystems for sure. As bare minimum you'll need to set up "/" mount point and select device where to install boot loader (obviously you want both to reside on target usb stick drive). Other than that, *buntus would happily install on usb sticks like any other drive. Keep in mind you can't install onto same media you're using to boot live copy, so it have to be different stick as target.
              Last edited by SystemCrasher; 23 May 2016, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X