GHC 8.0.1 Haskell Compiler Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I looked into Haskell but it has a horrible syntax.
    I also looked into F# and it looks pretty bad too.

Is there any nice functional language?
    Try Arc.

Comment

Originally posted by hagda View Post

Hard to tell without knowing what you dislike about F#/Haskell syntax.
      It was just words after words without any characters to signal intent.
      Example, the return value is just the last parameter, so from a syntax point of view there is no distinction of function parameters and a function return value, its just an implicit assumption that the last word is the return value.
      Also the parameters are not comma-separated and located within parenthesis.

Comment

Originally posted by ormaaj View Post
        Also I hate significant whitespace. Haskell's indenting rules are painful to learn.
        With the right editor/plugins you don't need to learn them, at all.
        Personally, I prefer those forced indent rules nowadays (used to be different for me, as well). They make sure I can't slack off and actually have to follow a certain coding style.

Comment

It was just words after words without any characters to signal intent.
          Example, the return value is just the last parameter, so from a syntax point of view there is no distinction of function parameters and a function return value, its just an implicit assumption that the last word is the return value.
          Also the parameters are not comma-separated and located within parenthesis.
          To me the type statement is about as clear of a signaled intent as you can get.
          Given that haskell is functional there's not really a return value, rather more of just a value. (Or since it's lazy the promise to come up with a value later)
          Additionall partial application of a function is a valid value, the expresion `(3 + )` is just as valid as `sqrt` or `"Hello World!"` or `map (3 +) $ take 5 [1 ..]`.

The syntax was designed to let you do a lot of odd and beautiful things without a lot of cruft. Point is the syntax is odd for a reason, and that reason is not just to the sake of oddness.

Comment

I looked into Haskell but it has a horrible syntax.
            The best thing about Haskell is its beautiful, clean syntax.

If you are used to C# or Java, I would recommend Scala as a good functional learner language. Although, as the creator of Scala says, "Scala is a gateway drug to Haskell".

Comment

Working...
            X