It Looks Like Canonical Will Soon Publish Vulkan Mir Support On Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by A-Singh View Post
    It's still the biggest Linux distro by number of users, so it's far from irrelevant.
    Is it really bigger than ChromeOS?

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
      statistics show otherwise. Ubuntu is number 3. Who is uninformed now?
      If the statistics you're referring to is the listing on distrowatch, they clearly state as follows:
      The DistroWatch Page Hit Ranking statistics are a light-hearted way of measuring the popularity of Linux distributions and other free operating systems among the visitors of this website. They correlate neither to usage nor to quality and should not be used to measure the market share of distributions. They simply show the number of times a distribution page on DistroWatch.com was accessed each day, nothing more.
      So, I guess the answer to your question is "you".

Comment

but did IBM and red hat install spyware into their OS like Canonical did with ubuntu/unity?

This FUD will never ever end will it. So I guess Ubuntu is being deployed in many places where security is a premium concern are all willingly putting themselves at stake and installing spyware. I thought Linux was for freedom and not for compliance. If Canonical makes something for its own, its their choice. Don't like it, don't use it. Plain and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          Why do Mesa and Mir need special support to get Vulkan running on Mir, when it works on Wayland from Day 1?
          https://www.collabora.com/about-us/b...t-for-wayland/
          You did not understand the article. It was talking about the WSI subsection of the specification, there is no code involved whatsoever (aside the vulkan.h header). And that day one support for Vulkan? Mir had it too

Comment

I actually use gentoo and its openrc. The one whoms trolling is you. PS i use systemd anyway. But its bloatware.
            Even assuming you didn't just looked it up, the point still stands, you cannot tell the difference, because there isn't, regardless of the FUD.

It's an init system, none usually can tell the difference without looking under the hood. (systemd boots dramatically faster than sysvinit/upstart, don't know about openrc)

The only ones that can claim it is too "bloated" for them are embedded distros like OpenWRT/LEDE, where it's a bit complex to fit systemd in a 4-8MB root file system.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Even assuming you didn't just looked it up, the point still stands, you cannot tell the difference, because there isn't, regardless of the FUD.

It's an init system, none usually can tell the difference without looking under the hood. (systemd boots dramatically faster than sysvinit/upstart, don't know about openrc)

The only ones that can claim it is too "bloated" for them are embedded distros like OpenWRT/LEDE, where it's a bit complex to fit systemd in a 4-8MB root file system.
              Eh go back to using windows vista. You will love all that bloatware, since you are using a desktop you shouldnt care right? Why should i have to look up anything when i have been using gentoo for years exactly for this reason, to remove bloat. That i am using a desktop with 2 ssds and 32gb ram doesnt matter.

you cannot tell the difference
              none usually can tell the difference
              systemd boots dramatically faster than sysvinit/upstart, don't know about openrc
              So let me guess, nobody can tell the difference but you can. Got it. Your hypocrisy and attempts at strawmans and red herrings are hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post

You did not understand the article. It was talking about the WSI subsection of the specification, there is no code involved whatsoever (aside the vulkan.h header). And that day one support for Vulkan? Mir had it too

It's not really Day 1 support if it takes months and months to get Vulkan clients running on Mir, lol.

Comment

statistics show otherwise. Ubuntu is number 3. Who is uninformed now?

Distrowatch doesn't show statistics for the popularity of a distro (by number of actual users), only page hit counts - as someone else has already quoted.

So yep, still you.

Originally posted by johnc View Post

Is it really bigger than ChromeOS?
                  Well, that depends if you consider ChromeOS a "traditional Linux distribution". I certainly don't for a number of reasons.

That being said, it probably is more popular than Ubuntu - and now that it will be able to run Android apps natively, I reckon it's userbase will grow even more.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxforall View Post

This FUD will never ever end will it. So I guess Ubuntu is being deployed in many places where security is a premium concern are all willingly putting themselves at stake and installing spyware. I thought Linux was for freedom and not for compliance. If Canonical makes something for its own, its their choice. Don't like it, don't use it. Plain and simple.
                    People seem to forget that there are alternatives to stock Ubuntu with your desktop environment of choice. People are really praising Ubuntu MATE 16.04.

Comment

Originally posted by tegs View Post

People seem to forget that there are alternatives to stock Ubuntu with your desktop environment of choice. People are really praising Ubuntu MATE 16.04.
                      And obviously i was talking about ubuntu/unity. not other ubuntu flavors.

Comment

Working...
                      X