Radeon Linux 4.6 + Mesa 11.3 vs. NVIDIA Linux Performance & Perf-Per-Watt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drink a lot of red wine Michael?

Doom was put out by bethesdamax, they hate Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post
      Drink a lot of red wine Michael?

Doom was put out by bethesdamax, they hate Linux.
      Huh? I'm not the one saying it's coming to Linux, I'm just pointing out to someone who was saying I should have tested Doom (on Linux).
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Huh? I'm not the one saying it's coming to Linux, I'm just pointing out to someone who was saying I should have tested Doom (on Linux).
        Sorry, the top line was for you (hint, you have a typo), the rest was for everyone else.

Comment

i like it how fury mesa is twice fps per dollar compared to titan blob in some tests
          Last edited by pal666; 18 May 2016, 04:25 PM.

Comment

These results are very interesting, AMD always performed better on higher resolutions compared to NVIDIA on windows, but on linux the gap is huge.
            Someone wanting to play CSGO on a more competitive manner on linux using 120 or 144hertz monitors is gonna have to resort to using nvidia graphics to stay above 144fps at all times, at least until 4k@120hertz monitors with Displayport 1.3 are out.

Comment

Wonder how well Doom would run in Wine?

Originally posted by Max Payne View Post
              at least until 4k@120hertz monitors with Displayport 1.3 are out.
              Its DP1.4 I believe.

Comment

CS:GO and Xonotic are clearly CPU bound at 1080p. Seems like Mesa has quite some overhead - but it's still pretty damn fast, considering the software architecture.

Wonder how well Doom would run in Wine?
                It doesn't, and the only pathetic reason is DRM.

Comment

Michael, just an FYI on something I've found interesting.

On Ubuntu, the performance on my R9 390 with the latest mesa from git has been AWFUL. And from two different PPA's.

However on openSUSE and Manjaro, mesa-git has been fantastic performance wise.

CS:GO was stuttering horribly on Ubuntu, not on the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

"red wine" -> Wine's symbol is a glass of red wine.

Suspected attempt at communication saying "use wine", even if it would not make a lot of sense anyway because DRM. Maybe he didn't know.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

"red wine" -> Wine's symbol is a glass of red wine.

Suspected attempt at communication saying "use wine", even if it would not make a lot of sense anyway because DRM. Maybe he didn't know.
                      No, he had a typo in the article. Where it says, finally a red win. Said, finally a red wine.

Comment

Working...
                      X