GNOME's Nautilus File Manager: "Its Best Moment Since It Was Created"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Nautilus File Manager: "Its Best Moment Since It Was Created"

Phoronix: GNOME's Nautilus File Manager: "Its Best Moment Since It Was Created"

At various points in GNOME's history the Nautilus file manager has been less than maintained, but these days the situation is much brighter...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

are you fucking kidding me? since 3.6 its gotten worse and worse
    now im using nemo and wont go back

Comment

Honestly Nautilus. There was a period there just after they'd removed type ahead and a few other things that it truly sucked but in the couple of years since it's really made up for the things removed by buffing their replacements, like the search, the sidebar, and the "Other Places" overview. Compare this to Mint's Nemo, a fork of some of the old nautilus code. They've made very few improvements to the core product, mainly fleshing out an extension system that is barely used. In all the years that that fork has been active they only had one good idea to add which was the queue for file copy/move/delete jobs, which admitedly I would like in nautilus but won't shed a tear if it doesn't migrate across in some form.

Comment

Nemo has most if not all of the features nautilus no longer has, and thank Mint it has. Unfortunately it is not realy stable under Arch Linux and often crashes when using split view.

Comment

Agree, Nautilus is barely usable right now and Nemo is just awesome, I'll never go back to Nautilus unless some kind of miracle happen to its maintainers.

Comment

Remember in Gnome 2.6 where they forced us to use Nautilus in "Spatial" mode because if they didn't force us to do it nobody would use it. That was a fun time in Nautilus' history. Step back to Windows 95 and OS 7 that was somehow suppose to become the "next generation" in file management. Windows popping up everywhere!

Comment

Any of you guys tried out KDE Dolphin?

Comment

Now if only it had the option to show a file's access and modify timestamps instead of just "Today", "Yesterday", "Tuesday", etc. This info should at least be shown in the properties window. Now I have to open the terminal to check it. Rather annoying when sharing/synchronizing files with others.
                EDIT: Oh, turns out this is the case for Nautilus 3.20. IIRC it wasn't with 3.16 or 3.18. Never mind then
                Last edited by Decay; 05 May 2016, 10:36 AM.

Comment

I hardly use Nautilus now. Perhaps 5% of the time when I plug in USB devices and Nautilus pops up. The other 95% of the time I'm using Nemo! They should switch Nautilus to Nemo as the default for Ubuntu!

Comment

dolphin, everything in gnome is some kind of Chinese imitation.

Comment

Working...
                    X