Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's Project Neon Begins Publishing Daily Wayland Images

Phoronix: KDE's Project Neon Begins Publishing Daily Wayland Images

KDE's Project Neon has begun publishing daily images of the latest KDE Plasma stack powered atop Wayland rather than the X.Org Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How are the latest images looking with dual monitors? I understand single monitor is working fine, but on Arch with a very current stack, it glitches bad with kwin_wayland on dual monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by EmbraceUnity View Post
      How are the latest images looking with dual monitors? I understand single monitor is working fine, but on Arch with a very current stack, it glitches bad with kwin_wayland on dual monitor.
      Dual monitor setups are not yet supported.

Comment

Originally posted by EmbraceUnity View Post
        Apparently, not even single monitor setups aren't in great shape. There's something in Qt that disconnects a monitor when it goes in to sleep or something like that. Qt 5.6.1 can't come soon enough (and of course, it's been delayed).

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Apparently, not even single monitor setups aren't in great shape. There's something in Qt that disconnects a monitor when it goes in to sleep or something like that. Qt 5.6.1 can't come soon enough (and of course, it's been delayed).
          Well that doesn't matter on Wayland :-) On Wayland we don't remove outputs when we put them to sleep and even more we don't even tell apps about it.

Comment

Are these images in a usable state? I mean, could I use it for firefox, kmail, kile, dolphin, etc.? on my Intel Ivy bridge-based laptop?

Comment

Is there any way to install that on top of Debian testing? I want to use newest Plasma, but I'm not interested in Ubunutu.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                Qt 5.6.1 can't come soon enough (and of course, it's been delayed).
                Is there any timeline / release schedule for Qt? I can't find any info on Qt 5.6.1.

Comment

Originally posted by mgraesslin View Post
                  Well that doesn't matter on Wayland :-) On Wayland we don't remove outputs when we put them to sleep and even more we don't even tell apps about it.
                  @mgraesslin: First, let me thank you again for your work! I am really looking forward to the day KDE can support all my devices and work flows!

Now, as you are already talking about multi-monitor support, I just wanted to ask what your expectations compared to X11 are. The current state of multi-monitor support with docking stations in Plasma/KWin is... suboptimal (I am now the last KDE user at the chair because of that ) - will this all be magically solved with Wayland or won't that matter much?

(Background: If a multimonitor support will be supported better with wayland I will try to switch more sooner than later. If not, I can keep my notebook on X11 for the time being.)

Comment

Originally posted by mgraesslin View Post

Ha, I'm so stupid. Iirc you even blogged about this difference at some point, but I completely forgot about it.
                    It's nice to know Wayland is at least safe from this bug, cause I'm sure there are many others at such an early stage.

Comment

Working...
                    X