Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenWRT Gets Forked By Some Of Its Own Developers As LEDE Project

Phoronix: OpenWRT Gets Forked By Some Of Its Own Developers As LEDE Project

While the OpenWRT project is a very well known embedded Linux distribution primarily for network devices, a number of their own developers have decided to fork away from the project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So... they're going to *increase* the number of developers, by splitting off with a fraction of them?

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      So... they're going to *increase* the number of developers, by splitting off with a fraction of them?
      If I understand correctly, they're going to make it more available for new developers, while the old project was more limited and had organizational issues.

Comment

Any specifics on what provoked the fork? I'm all for better communication and everything... Though I don't understand what's the rush to 4.4... But what exactly couldn't be done under OpenWrt?

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
          Any specifics on what provoked the fork? I'm all for better communication and everything... Though I don't understand what's the rush to 4.4... But what exactly couldn't be done under OpenWrt?
          Their presentation (preview from the live stream) can be found at https://youtu.be/j6agCJy8FvE?t=20m + https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhkBeEuT9GM

Comment

one could also just go, and take T2 for embedded Linux work: https://t2-project.org ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
              Currently, everything. OpenWRT has a crappy organization so there isn't much more than the devs and a couple guys on the wiki. Whoever has the leadership sucks, and it shows.

Their forums are run like crap, their bugtracker is meh, the wiki is meh.
              Their project keeps looking like crap even if the actual stuff is sound.

I use it, it's powerful stuff, but documentation and user-friendlyness (user in the sense of "guy that wants to compile/use/run OpenWRT or its packages to install on his own device, maybe even over serial or tftp", so not exactly noobs) are NOT decent.

Also, OpenWRT has a name for routers but if you look at the (big) package lists it is actually pretty good for NAS and miniserver roles, and also for various other usual embedded stuff, they have packages for the various protocols used in chip-chip communications, sensors and whatever.

So yeah, a name change into "Generic Embedded Linux Distro" is nice as it advertises what this stuff actually is and has been since at least 4 years or so.

Comment

I was working for a year with one of the core OpenWRT developers and can confirm only the same. Communication is bad, core developers all have their goal. Main developer and some others have their companies (as DD-WRT) which they advertise more and is more important to them than OpenWRT. Many contributors that contribute more than core developers to OpenWRT never get commit access, since core developers are mostly trying to get money only for themselves. Very happy to hear this. Now wiki will hopefully get updated

Comment

Finally know what happened to OpenWrt in past years.

I waited for years to see how is the support of a well known chip not being supported by OpenWrt while third part driver code was actually available. I can't blame anyone if no one is interested to integrate it while I wonder why such a famous chip never get supported.

Comment

Listening to the discussions it sounds perfectly reasonable to fork. If leadership will not keep pace, it is the job of contributors to take up the reins in their stead.

Hopefully unlike ffmpeg vs libav the LEDE developers will merge back in and cooperate again once their grievances have been aired. And it is the onus of the OpenWRT heads to see them met - you cannot long survive having a half dozen or more frequent contributors drop your project because you have a lack of participation and engagement.

Comment

Working...
                    X