Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ndiswrapper 1.60 Released

Phoronix: Ndiswrapper 1.60 Released

If you are a newcomer to Linux you may not even have an idea what Ndiswrapper is even though it was very much used a number of years ago, but nevertheless, Ndiswrapper 1.60 has been released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was fortunate to not need Ndiswrapper very much in the old days since I went out of my way to get a PCMCIA card with the Orinoco chipset for 802.11b. Ah, the bad old days with pop out cards that had the antenna sticking out the side of your notebook.

It actually worked pretty well and at the time (about 2002 or so) not needing Ethernet for a "high speed" 11Mbit connection was a big deal.

I'm glad the Ndis guys are still at it to help support some of the outlying hardware that hasn't gotten proper Linux support yet.

Comment

it works, unlike reactos

Comment

Do anyone need ndiswrapper in 2016?
        Does it still not support NDIS 6 and later? so you still need drivers from winxp since it doesn't support vista,7,8,8.1,10.

Comment

Last time I try ndiswrapper with a WiMax usb dongle, it made kernal stack overflow. Don't know current state but it would not hurt to have a windows driver compability for simple devices as still some small devices out their which don't support Linux

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
            Do anyone need ndiswrapper in 2016?
            I do , since the old Texas Instruments chips for my wifi dongle didn't get upstream and are not actively maintained https://sourceforge.net/p/acx100/acx...i/master/tree/
            The new editions by AVM run mediatek chips where even the manufacturer doesn't have linux drivers that are out of tree.
            For those recent devices NDISWrapper has not been a valid choice until now, since their drivers require ndis features ndiswrapper can't offer.

Comment

Originally posted by bemerk View Post

I do , since the old Texas Instruments chips for my wifi dongle didn't get upstream and are not actively maintained https://sourceforge.net/p/acx100/acx...i/master/tree/
              The new editions by AVM run mediatek chips where even the manufacturer doesn't have linux drivers that are out of tree.
              For those recent devices NDISWrapper has not been a valid choice until now, since their drivers require ndis features ndiswrapper can't offer.
              Wow that's some really ancient chipset, I remember configuring it when I was still in high school!
              About Mediatek: aren't their wifi chips what used to be Ralink? They had good out-of-the-box support back in the day, even before Intel open-sourced their drivers, but then I lost track of them. What is the name of the Mediatek chip?

Comment

Originally posted by bemerk View Post

That's an 15 years old chipset and i thought most had real support, so at least there's one chip that needs it.
                What mediatek chip is it that AVM uses? didn't it use to be well supported ralink?
                A quick google search showed MT7610U but i think that one got linux support.

Comment

Hah. Yeap, never used it. Never needed wifi until they were already shipping with the kernel, and Ethernet seemed to work fine in the past too, so... Sure have heard of stories, though.

Comment

the ALX driver is still very bad quality. WOL i still not patched back in. Network drivers are just terrible on linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X