Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post

No, but they haven't sold any of those.
    Actually, The Alienware i7 Steam Machine is currently #51 PC seller on Amazon. I've seen it at the Top 10 during price reduction sales. These Steam Machine are selling better than you might think.

However, it's probably fair to assume that the overwhelming majority of these buyers are wiping off SteamOS and installing Windows.

Comment

Those data are FUD and unrealistic. I never had a Steam-Survey on Steam Linux, but just if i start Steam in Windows i get the survey.

Comment

Well that's the "top 1%" of the desktop economy!

Comment

A different approach to calculating the popularity of Linux gaming on Steam

Comment

Originally posted by dbpalan View Post
            Diversity of Linux distro components limited user base and get bad user experience fundamentally. There is no solution for a commercial product (say, Steam and its games) to support a home Linux distro.

Say, a question like:
            "When I start XXX game from Steam, it shows a dialog says YYY library is missing ZZZ, I am using DDD distro version VVV".
            You may simply not find anyone in the universe having this configuration having the same issue. As a result your solution is not "find and solve the root cause" but "upgrade your YYY library or even DDD distro version". This is totally bad solution.
            weird. i use gentoo which is as oddball distro as it gets, and i get steam to run just fine. i only have to remove libstdc++ libraries from runtime, because otherwise steam doesn't work at all. that's the only problem i have.

Comment

i had steam-survey last in august 2015, same my friends but mostly early 2015 or end 2014. on OpenSUSE_Leap/Debian_stable/CentOS steam works without any problem no compatibility problem better than ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by polo View Post
                i had steam-survey last in august 2015, same my friends but mostly early 2015 or end 2014. on OpenSUSE_Leap/Debian_stable/CentOS steam works without any problem no compatibility problem better than ubuntu.
                I recently got one at the and of april after more than a year.

Comment

Originally posted by towo2099 View Post
                  Those data are FUD and unrealistic. I never had a Steam-Survey on Steam Linux, but just if i start Steam in Windows i get the survey.

Do you really think Linux gaming users are above 1%? You shouldn't.

Comment

It is still more than 1 million real users, and I think they spend more money that an average Windows player (based on Humble indies).
                    Tiny but real marketshare.

Now that the controller is ready Valve really need to design and sell its own Steam Machines, with no margin like consoles, if they want to really enter the war of consoles.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post

Actually, The Alienware i7 Steam Machine is currently #51 PC seller on Amazon. I've seen it at the Top 10 during price reduction sales. These Steam Machine are selling better than you might think.

However, it's probably fair to assume that the overwhelming majority of these buyers are wiping off SteamOS and installing Windows.
                      I doubt Joe User would know how to do that. If people were buying these just to install Windows, I would assume that the only people buying Steam Machines are are Hobbyists.

Comment

Working...
                      X