Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    intel mobile drivers were powervr
    Only some of them. Latest ones were real Intel (and ones from the Ivy Bridge generation too).

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
      Intel has to my knowledge never produced any mobile SoC with FOSS drivers.
      Their SoCs work with Mesa for their Intel GPU. And Intel WiFi has open drivers as well. Can't say much about touchscreen drivers and such, those aren't really tied to the SoC.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        Only some of them. Latest ones were real Intel (and ones from the Ivy Bridge generation too).
        No they were not. Only Cherry Trail and up had Intel graphics, but these were intended for larger tablets and not suitable for mobile.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
          Anyway, since Windows can run on AMD hardware, and since unlike Intel AMD's contributions to the Linux Kernel are pretty much negligible, it would be a great thing for AMD to go out of business tomorrow since that means nobody will ever run Windows on future AMD hardware.
          your logic is flawed here. amd's marketshare is low, so windows will happily run on intels.
          and without competition intel will charge even more outragous prices than atm.

i was wandering how long intel will continue doing tizen since it obviously has no place at low end

Comment

Well, that's terrible. Ever since Intel started using normal Intel graphics on the tablet parts, they were the best option for having a truly open (at least in the bootloader sense), well-performing tablet for work purposes. ARM just doesn't cut it with locked bootloaders and non-mainline drivers, as well as the general lack of productivity tools.

Comment

No they were not. Only Cherry Trail and up had Intel graphics, but these were intended for larger tablets and not suitable for mobile.
              Jolla tablet has Intel GPU.

Comment

Plus there are already mobile SoCs with FOSS drivers, from Qualcomm.
                Are there? With fully working FOSS drives including WiFi and the rest?

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
                  Yeah, maybe you should leave instead. I've been using Linux a lot longer than you*
                  Genuinely curious... how did you figure out you have used Linux longer? unless you are Linus himself... it's going to be hard to blanket claim that... So how did you figure out M1kkko's length of Linux userness? And how long is your own?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Wow, Intel finally realized their place in the market. Did hell just freeze over? It wouldn't surprise me if some of those thousands of job cuts they made are related to this.

But seriously, I'm so sick of Intel trying to tap into everything that involves a processor, no matter how little money they will get from it. They just can't stand the idea that there are processor markets that they don't have a name in. I worry for companies like ARM and Atmel, but at least this news helps ease the problem a little bit. ARM is really starting to make something of itself and I'm glad to see the progress they've made in the past 5 years, and I'm glad they're actually doing well enough to make Intel back off.
                    So in short, you're quite fond of monopolies. Good for you, man. Good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      your logic is flawed here. amd's marketshare is low, so windows will happily run on intels.
                      and without competition intel will charge even more outragous prices than atm.

i was wandering how long intel will continue doing tizen since it obviously has no place at low end
                      Seriously? Does no one on this board understand sarcasm? People would do good dropping the book on microprocessors and pick up one on the topic of human communication.

Comment

Working...
                      X