Intel Decides To Let Go Of Broxton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuckula View Post

I find it interesting that the people who spew the most hate also have the greatest lack of technical competency.

Spew hate? Seriously if you're bothered by the fact that not everyone on this Linux-oriented website may be a fan of Microsoft, there are other websites or forums that may be more suitable to your tastes.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post

Spew hate? Seriously if you're bothered by the fact that not everyone on this Linux-oriented website may be a fan of Microsoft, there are other websites or forums that may be more suitable to your tastes.
      Well, he has a point--the dig at Microsoft wasn't really necessary, and there are reasons to want x86 in your phone other than Windows Phone, the comment does make him (trifud) seem somewhat lacking in knowledge on the subject. Hate is probably a bit strong in this case, but I don't think chuckula is wrong in general. At the same time, you shouldn't dismiss people just because they are very negative--sometimes they have a good reason for it.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post

Yeah, maybe you should leave instead. I've been using Linux a lot longer than you* and I actually come here because I actually want to gain knowledge about Linux, not to spew bigoted hatred that it's a wonderful think that consumers are losing choices in hardware because that hardware might be capable of running Windows.

Given that criterion, let's see how you respond to this statement: Every single product that AMD sells now or that is on its roadmap can run some form of Windows. Hell, AMD's own CEO took kickbacks from Microsoft to testify IN FAVOR of Microsoft at its anti-trust trial (ever wonder why the Athlon "XP" got those letters in its name and why Microsoft supported the original Opterons so much?). [ http://www.computerworld.com/article...t-witness.html ]

Anyway, since Windows can run on AMD hardware, and since unlike Intel AMD's contributions to the Linux Kernel are pretty much negligible, it would be a great thing for AMD to go out of business tomorrow since that means nobody will ever run Windows on future AMD hardware.

* That includes Kernel hacking for my Master's Thesis, so take your little inflated sense of superiority that you are a living God because you got a half-functional Ubuntu install once and shove it.
        Last edited by chuckula; 02 May 2016, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Yeah, maybe you should leave instead. I've been using Linux a lot longer than you* and I actually come here because I actually want to gain knowledge about Linux, not to spew bigoted hatred that it's a wonderful think that consumers are losing choices in hardware because that hardware might be capable of running Windows.

Given that criterion, let's see how you respond to this statement: Every single product that AMD sells now or that is on its roadmap can run some form of Windows. Hell, AMD's own CEO took kickbacks from Microsoft to testify IN FAVOR of Microsoft at its anti-trust trial (ever wonder why the Athlon "XP" got those letters in its name and why Microsoft supported the original Opterons so much?). [ http://www.computerworld.com/article...t-witness.html ]

Anyway, since Windows can run on AMD hardware, and since unlike Intel AMD's contributions to the Linux Kernel are pretty much negligible, it would be a great thing for AMD to go out of business tomorrow since that means nobody will ever run Windows on future AMD hardware.

* That includes Kernel hacking for my Master's Thesis, so take your little inflated sense of superiority that you are a living God because you got a half-functional Ubuntu install once and shove it.
          AMD going out of business is not good for anyone, unless you was $500 i5 processors. No wonder you only have a Masters :P

Comment

A little hypocritical, considering you also said:
            it would be a great thing for AMD to go out of business tomorrow since that means nobody will ever run Windows on future AMD hardware.
            Anyway...
            Every single product that AMD sells now or that is on its roadmap can run some form of Windows.
            To my knowledge, there is no immediate Windows support for the Opteron A series.
            So the only reason hardware or a company ever deserves to exist is if they support Linux? That seems pretty short-sighted. Kernel contributions aren't the only thing that matters, BTW. Had it not occurred to you that AMD supports more features than Intel in Mesa? Intel also makes ARM's kernel contributions look negligible, and ARM today almost depends solely on Linux. Your logic is flawed, and your biases are showing.
            Last edited by schmidtbag; 02 May 2016, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Was I the only one who thought it was obvious he was using sarcasm to make a point when he made that statement about AMD? Otherwise why would he make such an oppositional statement (one whose basis is that Windows runs on AMD processors). Why ignore that for his statement and not for trifud's? Also, context is important....
              Last edited by Nobu; 02 May 2016, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
                Was I the only one who thought it was obvious he was using sarcasm to make a point when he made that statement about AMD? Otherwise why would he make such an oppositional statement (one whose basis is that Windows runs on AMD processors). Why ignore that for his statement and not for trifud's? Also, context is important....
                Flamers gonna flame.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
                  noooooooooooooooooo

i have a asus zenfone 2 with intel atom z3560 and its great
                  i was hoping to buy a zenfone 3/4 with broxton, i think this is really bad news
                  ASUS was turning away from Intel anyway, as reported by DigiTimes (via FudZilla): http://www.fudzilla.com/news/mobile/...tel-dependence
                  With the last major customer gone, this move by Intel was to be expected.

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                  This was rather expected. Intel never went all in with Atom, instead releasing rather dated technology that often appeared to be minimal effort designs.
                  Intel spent billions on their contra-revenue program to establish a foothold in mobile. So they were definitely eager to get part of the market.
                  The "dated technology" comment is true though. For most of 2014, they had only LPDDR2 memory support in their Z25xx Atoms while everybody else had LPDDR3, and when in 2015 they finally moved to LPDDR3 in Z35xx, the rest of the industry had already begun the transition to LPDDR4. Same for eMMC 5.0 and UFS 2.0, Intel always lagged behind in supporting these technologies. LTE support is another sad chapter.

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                  I'd say it's nasty. Intel were the only hope to get decent FOSS drivers for mobile devices...
                  Intel has to my knowledge never produced any mobile SoC with FOSS drivers.
                  The older ones used PowerVR graphics, and the newer ones (SoFIA/Atom X3) use Mali graphics.

Plus there are already mobile SoCs with FOSS drivers, from Qualcomm.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                    I'd say it's nasty. Intel were the only hope to get decent FOSS drivers for mobile devices...
                    intel mobile drivers were powervr

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
                      there are reasons to want x86 in your phone other than Windows Phone
                      there are none. btw, loosephone was arm-based

Comment

Working...
                      X