Beta Released Of Devuan, The Systemd-Free Version Of Debian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    I perfectly know systemd cannot mount the partition but instead of plainly reporting it by saying "Cannot mount something to somewhere, system halted"
    Have you filed it?

The systemd System and Service Manager . Contribute to systemd/systemd development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
      Have you filed it?
      Lennart has a tendency to shit on bug reports or features he finds "unnecessary", "unfeasible" or whatever lives in his head. Take these for example:

"We (in fact he, himself) decided/we know what's best for you" Do you think I'll file any more bug requests against systemd? No, thanks.

Comment

I still think SystemD is shit. It's become less shit than it was, but it's still shit. Here's the simplest way to fuck it up: create an NTFS partition, set it to auto in /etc/fstab, delete ntfs-3g, reboot, have a total fuck up. No, systemd won't say "I cannot mount /dev/blabla to /mnt/somewhere because necessary files might be missing", it will say something like "Bus error 801". WTF???? Really?! It's the best they can do?!

Don't take my words for granted, go check Fedora 23/24-alpha which contain basically a pure systemd implementation.
        I've played with one flash dongle.... dolphin mount i've unmount it, but i forget to unmount it before reboot, i've reboot PC, removed flash and o' my god what just happened?
        did my HDD have been broken, something with long UUID can't be mounted.... if i have enough money i'll sue Lennart for emotional stress which i felt ......
        HDD wasn't broken just systemD decided that if i mount flash dongle it have to put in fstab and when systemD can't find it it can scare you a lot...

Comment

That : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PizR8VfFnNs

Look how I did not touch CTRL-ALT-F1/2... SystemD did not want me to fix that after-update issue on Arch so I simply remplaced it with Void.

As for my Debians VM, I did upgrade all Wheezy to Devuan. The migration is as easy as a normal upgrade, nothing to do, everything working.

Comment

Originally posted by phrx_reader View Post
            It is really about init freedom.

[...]

And, if you want systemd you just stay with Debian, don't switch to Devuan. Understood?
            Yeah, that's not a contradiction. At all...

This "init freedom" shtick is a whole bunch of BS. Devuan is anti-systemd, period. Why do you even try to pretend otherwise? Just say it like it is: "We don't believe systemd is the correct approach, we prefer the traditional system of init scripts, we've created a distro that caters to those who believe the same". It's simple, it's direct, it's *true*. It avoids any of the "init freedom" BS, as well as any of the fluffy "choice" crap. And you'll get much less animosity this way.

That's my gripe with Devuan, the way they present themselves. Just say it straight. The distro will live or die based on its merit, not based on how many you try to convince of some fluffy nonsense about "init freedom".
            Last edited by Gusar; 30 April 2016, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Do you think I'll file any more bug requests against systemd? No, thanks.
              That's your choice. Reporting is here is pretty unlikely to get it fixed however.

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post
                if i have enough money i'll sue Lennart for emotional stress which i felt ......
                Let me get this straight. You are going to personally sue a free and open source software developer for giving you software for free under a license that has a explicit no warranty disclaimer in it? No amount of money will make that stick in any court in the world.

Comment

I don't know what these vets are doing, but systemd works great for me, and anytime I have to use our older centos 6 machines, they feel antiquated and unbearable to me.
                  Granted I'm mainly a VFX artist and not primarily a sys admin, but I think systemd is great. I like how modular systemd is, and that most of the low level system can me managed from within one area. We use systemd-bootd and networkd, and pretty much any functionally systemd would like to integrate. Networkd works much better for our needs than NetworkManager

Comment

If systemd was just an init system with it's own scripting syntax I don't think people would have the same problem with it. I don't want the kitchen sink, and it's really annoying when other software depends on in. And even more so when the API morphs a bit from release to release. "We don't break userspace" it's a pretty good mantra.

With that said, I think systemd can be quite good on a mobile phone or a system that moves around and shuts down a lot. But I don't have the same need on my workstation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedipottsy View Post
                      I don't know what these vets are doing, but systemd works great for me, and anytime I have to use our older centos 6 machines, they feel antiquated and unbearable to me.
                      Granted I'm mainly a VFX artist and not primarily a sys admin, but I think systemd is great. I like how modular systemd is, and that most of the low level system can me managed from within one area. We use systemd-bootd and networkd, and pretty much any functionally systemd would like to integrate. Networkd works much better for our needs than NetworkManager
                      Modular? Are you sure you understand the meaning of this word?

Comment

Working...
                      X