No announcement yet.

Fresh Mesa 11.3-devel RadeonSI Tests On Ubuntu 16.04 vs. NVIDIA's 364.19 Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh Mesa 11.3-devel RadeonSI Tests On Ubuntu 16.04 vs. NVIDIA's 364.19 Driver

Phoronix: Fresh Mesa 11.3-devel RadeonSI Tests On Ubuntu 16.04 vs. NVIDIA's 364.19 Driver

For some end-of-month benchmarks and while having a number of graphics cards out prior to being let down by Tomb Raider's Linux benchmark, here is a fresh round of OpenGL tests while using the newest Mesa 11.3-devel code on RadeonSI with AMDGPU/Radeon DRM from Ubuntu 16.04 and then compared to various Kepler/Maxwell graphics cards with the newest NVIDIA Linux driver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't know why, but I seem to be getting MUCH better performance with Ubuntu 16.04's Mesa 11.2 than the 11.3 devel version (on R9 290 atleast). Can anyone test on their setup and confirm? Maybe I am just doing something wrong...
    Either way, it's great to see Open Source drivers delivering good performance compared to the competition. Hopefully AMD will keep supporting the devs.

Comment

Originally posted by SirCoolCat View Post
      I don't know why, but I seem to be getting MUCH better performance with Ubuntu 16.04's Mesa 11.2 than the 11.3 devel version (on R9 290 atleast). Can anyone test on their setup and confirm? Maybe I am just doing something wrong...
      Either way, it's great to see Open Source drivers delivering good performance compared to the competition. Hopefully AMD will keep supporting the devs.

When you see a regression, you can try to bisect to find the bad commit, that helps devs fix them in time.

Comment

Originally posted by SirCoolCat View Post
        I see less FPS on Mesa 11.3, however overall performance is better than on 11.2 eg. in The Witcher 2 I had strange stuttering with Messa 11.2 and after upgrade to 11.3 stuttering gone, however FPS count is lower.

Comment

Hi guys,

Could you please bisect the regressions, so that we can fix them?

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
            Hi guys,

Could you please bisect the regressions, so that we can fix them?
            Is this the recommended way of bisecting MESA regressions when using a PPA?

Comment

Originally posted by gururise View Post
              Is this the recommended way of bisecting MESA regressions when using a PPA?
              Those instructions look reasonable to me. Make sure you test your "good" (11.2) and "bad" (11.3-git) points also after compiling from source, to make sure you didn't accidentally compile with bad flags.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

For me amdgpu-pro have better fps than mesa in Unigine Heaven. To use, it download latest kernel from kernel.org and enable CIK support and remove unneeded drivers and modules. Google for more info about linux custom kernel. After your amdgpu driver works, you can use amdgpu-pro.
                By latest kernel you mean 4.5.2 or 4.6-rc5? Is the issue with CIK support resolved (I mean the one with 4.5.0 kernel)?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

I mean rc5. Xserver hang when starting with 4.5.0 kernel version was fixed with a temp patch and it is permanently fixed from rc3.
                  Thanks!

Comment

When I try to install the benchmark it gives me error: Dependency is not satisfiable: php5-cli

I have php7 installed. Help?

OK, managed to run it. I have R390 and surprisingly, it's closer in performance to 290 than Fury
                    Last edited by alex79; 29 April 2016, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X